Timing Belt Issue

Old 04-17-06, 08:49 PM
Question Timing Belt Issue

I have a friend that has a 1988 Nissian Maxima and she was driving it to work one morning and the car just stopped by itself. She had someone to check it out and found out the timing belt was gone and needed to be replaced and he also asked her did the car make any kind of noise before it shut off and she said no it just went dead and stopped. Well he told her that there was no need to replace the timing belt because in Nissian's cars when the timing belt just goes most of the time it tear something up in the motor and it would be a waste of time to replace the timing belt. He said she might as well get another motor for the car. So I want to know is this a true fact or what. Any opinion will be deeply appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-06, 03:13 AM
Prognosis

The prognosis is not good. I know of one interference engine that survived the loss of timing belt accident, I have heard of no other success stories.

Best case, you dented a few pistons (do not need to be replaced) and bend a few valves (we bent 15 of 16) and they will need to be replaced (head removal and work). Worst case, it tore up the pistons and valves and you may as well get a new engine.

In 99, it cost us over $900 for just new valves and head work, so if you can get by under $1K, you are getting off very cheap. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if the car is an 88, it may be time to look for a new car rather than a new engine.

Old 04-18-06, 03:41 AM
see alot of timing belts break and cause engine damage and have also seen alot that had no damage even though they were listed as an interference engine.
the car is fairly old and probably not worth putting alot of money into it but at this point you will have to decide to either 1get rid of the car as is,2 install a timing belt so a compression test and possibly a cylinder leakdown test if needed can be ran to determine what if any damage has been done,3 follow your mechanics recomendation and get a new engine.
and if just bent valves the engine can usually be repaired but if it already has alot of miles on the engine it is usually better to just to replcae the engine with a new or lower mileage engine.

Old 04-18-06, 04:50 AM
Well she has someone to replace the timing belt for free and she just wanted to know if it would be a waste of time. The car has 129,000 miles on it. She has another car but she wanted this one fix if it was not a wasted of time.So do anyone think she should go ahead and have it done since it will be free

Old 04-18-06, 05:09 AM
you probably should replace the belt and see if or how it runs afterwards seeing how it isnt going to cost much.

Old 04-18-06, 05:44 AM
Find out if it is an engine that bends valves when it breaks the belt. Most shops have a list of vehicles that do or don't. call the Nissan dealership and ask the shop foreman, he will know. To find out if valves are bent don't waste money putting a new belt on it. A shop can find out easily by removing the rocker arm shaft on each cylinder, that will close all the valves, then hook an air supply to each cylinder one at a time and turn on the air supply. If a valve is bent it will not hold air pressure in the cylinder. If all the cylinders hold air then there is no bent valve. Use a gauge were you can fill the cylinder with air and turn air supply off and still be able to moniter the gauge going to the cylinder. Also if the valve is bent you will be able to hear or feel the air coming out of the intake or exhaust pipe.

Old 04-18-06, 06:09 AM
by the time you factor in labor for pulling the valve covers and rocker shafts and doing a leak down test on each cylinder at a shop, it is much less expensive for them to just buy a belt if they have someone willing to put it on for free, just pulling the valvecovers on some cars is alot of labor.

Old 04-18-06, 06:52 AM
Originally Posted by bejay
by the time you factor in labor for pulling the valve covers and rocker shafts and doing a leak down test on each cylinder at a shop, it is much less expensive for them to just buy a belt if they have someone willing to put it on for free, just pulling the valvecovers on some cars is alot of labor.
Think about what you just said. If they had somebody willing to change a belt for free wouldn't they be willing to do a compression check for free? I would rather do a leak down test than change a belt. Could do a leak do test in less than a hour on that one.

Old 04-18-06, 07:35 AM
Group Moderator
Not necesarily. Just becasue someone has the tools and know-how to do a timing belt wouldn't mean they had the tools and know-how to do a leak down test.

Old 04-18-06, 08:29 AM
Yeah if he didn't have an air compressor with a gauge he couldn't do a leak down test. That is not what I was saying. I said it would be better than changing the belt. We can compare what ifs all day long.