87 Mustang, power window broke

Old 04-18-06, 08:56 AM
87 Mustang, power window broke

The left side rear power window won't go up or down. It sounds like the motor is moving, the window wont' move. I tried to force it down while holding the switch and it didnt help. How can this be fixed or replaced? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-06, 01:58 PM
Howdy! If you haven't already, your best bet would be to remove the interior door panel to see if a part of the internals is broken or has simply worked itself loose.

I've never worked on a mustang before, so I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what to look for... but, one of the best "parts" I've ever purchased for my acura was a Haynes repair manual. You can find them at most auto parts stores, and they're a really big help.

Before I had a repair manual, I replaced all four speakers and the head-unit in my car, and at the peak of this project, you could see the transmission from the driver's seat, lol. Usually, door panels are attached to the door by a combination of screws and plastic clips, and the plastic parts are easy to break if you don't know where they are.

~Jeffrey

*edit* I did some googling, and apparently, if you take the interior panel off it's still not a straight shot to the power window motor; but the gear-teeth on the motor tends to wear down and might be part of your problem...

Last edited by Jeffrew; 04-18-06 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-19-06, 02:37 AM
it may have a gear kit available for it, that will allow you to replace the plastic gears that strip out and not have to replace the motor.
check with your local parts store.