Mold in car vents

Old 04-18-06, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold in car vents

Hi, I was wondering if anyone new how to get rid of mold in the vents of my car. I was told to change the inside filter, but when I opened it up to take out the old one, there wasnt one in there. Apparently it had been taken out prior to my purchasing the car and never replaced. So if its not the filter causing the smell, where is it coming from, and how can I stop it?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-06, 01:28 PM
you might try a very mild bleach to water solution on the affected areas. I do mean mild at about 30/1. That should kill any mold.

Old 04-18-06, 01:34 PM
Yes but I dont know where inside to put it. Its inside the vent system.

Old 04-19-06, 04:11 AM
suggest you see the dealer for your vehicle they probably have a product to remove mold from the a/c / heater system as it is not that uncommon of a problem, they may be able to give you the procedures for appling the product or you may want to have them do it.

Old 04-19-06, 08:28 AM
Mold in car vents

I had a similar problem and I sprayed some Lysol spray into the air intake vent that is probably near the bottom of the windshield, outside of the car. Let the car idle, turn on the AC to medium, and spray the Lysol into the vents. After you spray for a while you smell the Lysol inside the car. Turn everything off and let it set overnight. You may need to do this a couple times.

I know you can also take it to shop and have the system cleaned by a professionsal. I have haerd of a product called BG frigi fresh, but a professional needs to apply that. Good luck.

Old 04-19-06, 07:11 PM
islandermike
Visiting Guest
I just had the same problem with my Mercury Villager. Molds grow in your ac evaporator fins which causes the smell. You can go to Napa and buy the ac evaporator mold cleaner. It is a spray that costs about 28 dollars. You gain access to your ac evaporator. There should be a ducting in between your fan and the evaporator, mine is under the glove compartment. I don't know if I missed it but I don't know what car you own. Anyway, make sure you follow the instructions on the spray because the smell will not go away if you only spray it on ductings, you have to get to the evaporator. I don't recommend using the clorox because it will smell for about two weeks, I tried it. The spray I am talking about has a fresh smell.

Old 04-20-06, 04:23 AM
One of the most effective ways (93%- 98% ) to remove/kill mold, is with vinegar. If you do get to your evaporator, and have a spray bottle full of white vinegar-(70% or so) /water mix, it will work. Cost about $1 or $2. Smell stays for a day or so though. Tried it, by spraying water/vinegar solution down intake, at front cowl below windsheild, with fan on high, windows open, and switched back & forth through all vent settings, then let it sit for a while. Smell doesn't stay too long, and mold smell was gone. You can always spray another deodorizer you do like, in same place, after if necessary.