Sounds like i'm going 5mph in 4th gear, then stalls

Old 04-18-06, 10:20 PM
Sounds like i'm going 5mph in 4th gear, then stalls

92 Cavalier, automatic, approx. 230,000 kilometers

For quite a while now, the car has felt kind of 'clunky', almost like something might just drop right out the bottom.

Driving along tonight, the car suddenly sounded really really clunky and just rough feeling so I started to pull over to the side of the road (thinking something really was falling out the bottom) and the car stalled. Started it and pulled back on the road, and it sounded really luggish.......kind of what I would think it would feel like if I was driving a standard, and tried to take off in fourth gear. And then it would feel normal for several minutes, and then luggish again, like it might stall. Very strange.

I tried not to come to a complete stop at stop signs, for fear of it totally stalling again...

Someone said that it sounded like it might be the fuel pump or the transmission. If it is the transmission, is it still safe to drive until I have the $ to buy another vehicle? or if it is the fuel pump, can I still keep driving it for a while?

Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

Last edited by Marie12345; 04-19-06 at 01:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-06, 02:47 AM
it might have a torque convertor clutch staying engaged it will give symptoms similiar to driving a standard and not putting the vehicle in nuetral or pushing in the clutch when coming to a stop and cause the vehicle to die, then will usually start right back up in park or nuetral and die again when placed in gear.
there is an electrical connector on the transmission that can be disconnected to prevent the tcc from engaging to see if that is whats causing the problem many older gm vehicles are driving around with this unplugged.

Old 04-19-06, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the reply... Took it around the block today, and it didn't sound quite as rough and it didn't stall. However, I did notice that when I shifted from drive to 2nd gear (it's an automatic), it didn't seem to automatically recognize that I had even shifted gears for a couple seconds (if that makes sense).

Does it still sound to you like it could be the problem you suggested?

Tx. again.

Old 04-21-06, 01:11 AM
Please don't "Bump" threads.

bump.......

Last edited by mattison; 04-21-06 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-21-06, 03:10 AM
possibly they usually do not act up all the time may not occur until after driving for a while.
you may want to see a transmision shop and have them test drive the vehicle they should be able to tell you if its transmission related problem assuming they can get the problem to occur.