'91 Ford Ranger Intake Plenum Help

Old 04-19-06, 05:40 AM
'91 Ford Ranger Intake Plenum Help (Fuel rail spacer)

I have a '91 Ford Ranger w/ 4.0L V6. it has 150k miles on it and i have gotten my money's worth out of her. Right now under normal driving in the low end of each gear I get A LOT of shuddering and backfiring from the engine. I have been told that I need to replace the upper intake manifold gasket(s). The top gasket is easy, except for working around the refridgerant line but there is supposedly a second gasket on the upper intake with a 2-part plenum. is this true? If so i can't figure out how to remove this lower plenum of the upper intake. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by reamk; 04-19-06 at 01:44 PM. Reason: more desc to title line
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-06, 12:46 PM
check the link below there is a fuel rail spacer in between the lower intake and upper intake it is not difficult to remove just have to remove the upper intake first.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d800b94b0.jsp

Old 04-19-06, 01:42 PM
This site doesn't describe how to. I have removed the upper manifold without any problem. The only thing i can see that might possibly be holding the fuel rail spacer on is the posts for the upper manifold. I just don't want to pry on the spacer or try to use a couple nuts to try to take out the posts if they aren't holding the spacer on the lower manifold. I don't need to break thos off!

Old 04-19-06, 01:48 PM
if you dont see any recessed screws holding the fuel rail on then it is probably just stuck you may want to remove the studs and may have to pry on it some to get the injectors and rail to all come out in one piece you should replace injector orings while your there as they may get damaged removing.

Old 04-19-06, 01:50 PM
will try it tomorrow night and see what happens. Thanks