If the Tornado really works...why doesn't the gov't mandate these things?

Old 04-19-06, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the Tornado really works...why doesn't the gov't mandate these things?

Sam Mamulo (pron./sp.?) and Jeff Brook's radio shows both have heavily endorsed this device, claiming it works. Independent test lab have supposedly confirmed increase in horsepower and mileage...usually about 2-4 mpg and 5-10 HP. If this device indeed does this, in light of the government insisting on higher fleet mileage from manufacturers, wouldn't they simply order car manufacturers to install Tornado devices?

Have any of you bought one and tried one?

I was going to, but found they didn't make one to fit my vehicle.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-06, 05:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As P.T. Barnum once said - - - - - --.

Don't waste your money. Usually in the instructions they will tell you that the device works best when you do a complete tune up at the same time.
Wow. my old heap runs better and is getting better gas mileage. It is, but from the tune up, not the gismo.

Old 04-19-06, 06:24 PM
Yup
Load of Hooey

Old 04-19-06, 09:12 PM
dont you think that if the car manufactures could get that extra power and fuel economy for ten cents worth of steel that they would?

Old 04-20-06, 04:10 AM
If you want to get the same affect, find a route for your air intake hose, that will allow more air to be forced in, and eliminate all the bends. That's why Ram-air & hood scoops were installed in the past. This thing is all going to depend on how much more air it can draw into that intake, and with the way they mount air intake housings & hoses now, my guess is a minimal increase if any. If you can find a more direct way to supply air to the air cleaner housing, from the front grille area, or via, hood scoop, it would be better than wasting your money on that thing.

Old 04-20-06, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by slickshift
Yup
Load of Hooey
Yet Jeff Brooks is considered a very knowledgable nice guy and I can't imagine him trying to bamboozle the public, willfully. So is he swallowing a this hook, line, and sinker, as well?

On the tv demo, while on a dyno, they showed the before and after horsepower of ONLY make one change to the engine: Putting in the Tornado. It went up about 10 HP. How do you explain that? Thart wold be a blatant lie if it weren't true.

For many of the various vehicles, they actually have listed some of the HP and gas mileage increases.

Old 04-20-06, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by zzzz1486
dont you think that if the car manufactures could get that extra power and fuel economy for ten cents worth of steel that they would?
I agree. Hence my post and my attempting to get you guys opinions.

Old 04-20-06, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Mike.B
If you want to get the same affect, find a route for your air intake hose, that will allow more air to be forced in, and eliminate all the bends. That's why Ram-air & hood scoops were installed in the past. This thing is all going to depend on how much more air it can draw into that intake, and with the way they mount air intake housings & hoses now, my guess is a minimal increase if any. If you can find a more direct way to supply air to the air cleaner housing, from the front grille area, or via, hood scoop, it would be better than wasting your money on that thing.
But ram-air relies on velocity. Hence, it will work better at 60 mph than at idle. But the Tornado's selling point is it's vortex action that spins the air and gas into the best mixture, even at idle. At least they want you to believe that it does.

Old 04-20-06, 05:07 PM
http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/1802932.html

I have no idea who the radio hosts are but I grew up with Popular Mechanics and I will belive them first.
The link is to Popular Mechanics testing various devices including the "Tornado"

Old 04-20-06, 07:20 PM
That tornado thing is a load of crock..... Peice of 10 dollar crud they sell for 70 some bucks....

Old 04-21-06, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
And as soon as the swirling air hits the throttle plate it gets straightened out again anyway, right?

Old 04-22-06, 08:54 PM
Think about it for a minute...
All engines are fuel injected now, so the fuel is added near to or right at the valve port. You want the maximum amount of airflow, and creating turbulence accomplishes just the opposite. You want the MAF sensor or it's equivalent sensor system to read the correct amount of air flow in relation to the other sensors so that the computer can do it's job correctly. Smooth airflow gives a more accurate, stable reading. The ram effect is legitimate in the sense that you are forcing a little more air into the intake tract, and the MAF or related intake sensors will recognize that and the FI system will react accordingly. TowGuy also makes a good point that with the MAF FI system the air will be diverted a little bit by the flap, and another issue with any car will be the plenum chamber before the individual runners, which will change the airflow too.

A lot of this garbage has it's roots in the good old days of carburetors and throttle body fuel injection, when it was important to get a thorough mixing of the gas and air upstream of the intake system and to keep it that way into the chambers. Gasoline that atomized the most efficiently in the airstream and stayed that way created the most power.

Jeez...I love talking about fuel and air. Mankind hit it's peak when we learned how to mount a pair of Carter AFB's on top of a GMC 6-71 blower feeding a 426 Hemi engine. There's yer freakin' Tornado.

Old 04-23-06, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
And as soon as the swirling air hits the throttle plate it gets straightened out again anyway, right?
I don't know? Does it? I think I am going to go to post #9's Popular Mechanics site.

I listened to Jeff Brooks show this weekend and there he was..advertising the Tornado... again. He said that across the board for all the cars tested, the average increase is about 10% in mileage. That is significant... and either it is true, or bs, and someone out there must know the answer. If it is true, the government should make automakers install these, and to make used car lots to install these on older vehicles when they sell them!

Old 04-23-06, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
I don't get Jeff anymore, but used to listen to him at our previous residence. Always enjoyed his show, but was somewhat skeptical of his "endorsements" of products that were sponsoring his show. He also had a Slick 50-type oil additive product containing teflon (PTFE) that he hawked and if you want to get a wild discussion going, bring THAT up.

Old 04-23-06, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
.....in light of the government insisting on higher fleet mileage from manufacturers, wouldn't they simply order car manufacturers to install Tornado devices?
The bottom line. Auto makers struggle to meet government-mandated fuel efficiency ratings across the board. If there was a device or technology that would accomplish the claimed savings, I suspect they would be installing it.

Old 04-23-06, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by AFineFix

Jeez...I love talking about fuel and air. Mankind hit it's peak when we learned how to mount a pair of Carter AFB's on top of a GMC 6-71 blower feeding a 426 Hemi engine. There's yer freakin' Tornado.
Actually, I believe the peak was reached in 1970 or 1971 with Chevy's 454 LS-6 engine which had the highest horsepower and torque of any US muscle production car ever made! I know a guy in town here who schooled me on this car, and his license plate said "LS-6". Cool. I was always a 440-6-pack Challenger or Cuda man, myself. I love those calenders that show all the neat paint jobs of those Challengers and Cudas. Neatest looking cars ever made!