"boom" sound from the bottom

Old 04-19-06, 05:17 PM
"boom" sound from the bottom

I drive in Boston MA, I always hear "boom" sound from my
1999 Rav4's bottom (front and back)when I drive on bumpy roads. There is no "boom" sound when I drive on a good road. All my Rav4's struts and shocks were replaced (mechanic say
they were cracked)and I thought by replace strut and
shock will eliminated the "boom" sound but it did not.
Any idea? I like to learn basic car repair, any idea
where is the good resource?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-06, 06:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Possibly the muffler and / or the catalytic converter bumping the underside of the floor.

The high school in my area has an adult basic car care and repair program at night.
You might want to check around in your area. Also, reading the posts on this site can be a good resource.

Old 04-25-06, 05:59 PM
Question

I went back to the shop and mechanic say the sound is coming from the shock and struct. He say that is the sound of a good suspension when drive on bumpy road. Is it true?

Old 04-26-06, 12:52 PM
Hey! I'm from Bauston to. I think ya got one of them Massachusetts sweet talkers. Don't accept that explanation.

Old 04-26-06, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
When they replaced the struts did they also replace the strut caps [racking my brain for the technical term - the cushion between the top of the strut and the body of the vehicle].

Read the description & function here:

http://www.drivewire.com/replacement...trutmount.html

Old 04-26-06, 06:36 PM
They did replace all struct mounts and front link(I don't know what that is), etc.. 4 tires were all replaced.

Old 04-26-06, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
Going back to your original post: all four of your struts were "cracked"? On a Toyota? I find that very hard to swallow unless you spend your weekends trying to beat Evel Knievel's car-jumping records. I would hunt a second opinion. Have it checked by someone else. Tell them the problem, but don't tip off any other information [they'll probably notice the struts have been replaced].

Old 04-26-06, 07:34 PM
I think there could be several problems. Firts off are you driving like a bat out of hell on a bumpy street? It sounds like the suspension is hitting the bumbstops. If you are driving like a mad man then this is normal. It sounds like the coil springs may be sagging or does it have torshion bars? Also go you have stock rims? I hear it you have like a 17" rim and low profile tires you will have this because there is no sidewall to absorbe the impact.

Look on ebay for auto text books, I heva a few and they are very good. Let us know what happens. Also could you tell us about the suspension, like a mcpherson strut or leafsprings or if it has indipendent suspension? good luck

Old 04-26-06, 08:00 PM
I am not an aggresive driver. Fastest speed I ever drive on highway is 70mph. In the city, I never drive pass 40 mph, most of time I only drive 35mph. I don't know anything about suspension. The mechanic say suspension was leaking gas when it is crack. It is a used car that was bought about 6 month ago. As far as I know, previous owner is a soccer mom with 2 daughters. Regarding the tire size, I will check it tommorow and let you know tommorow

Old 04-27-06, 07:39 AM
Go jump on the bumper and get the car bouncing then stop and the car should go up, down the settle in the middle, if it bounces more then that then the shocks are bad.

Old 04-29-06, 04:46 AM
tires are P215/70R16 Dunlop TG32's.

Old 05-01-06, 07:19 PM
what is the distance from the bottom of the rim to the ground? I was wondering what the side wall height of the tire is? I dont think there is much there. Also make sure the tires are inflated or the sound could be the rim hitting because the side wall is so small. I never had a low profile tire but was told that they will make noise like this when you hit a bump because there is no side wall to absorb the impact, I think I already said this though.

Old 05-04-06, 03:37 AM
I jumped on the bumper. It only go down then up then stop. It does NOT go down then go up then settle in the middle then stop. I am 130-pound.

Old 05-04-06, 08:14 AM
That sounds fine, your just not fat enough. Some time you should get under you car and just grab any steering or suspension part and jerk it around. From the sound of your problem I would say that rubber bushing is wore out, or missing so something is just flopping around. My dad has this problem on a toyota pickup and its a broken sway bar link. That may be the problem also.