brakes locking up on 2000 silverado

Old 04-20-06, 04:03 PM
tnttom25
Visiting Guest
brakes locking up on 2000 silverado

hi,
friend of mine has his brakes lock up every once in a while more often after braking hard we've r&r'd the fluid but problem comes back, help!!!!!!!!! TIA.

tom

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-06, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it locking up in the front or @ the back? Are the back brakes drum or disc? If back brakes are drums have it open to see if the drums are wet or the wheel cylinders are leaking.

Om

Old 04-21-06, 04:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
By 'lockup', do you mean that the vehicle easily goes into a skid? OR...that after you have braked hard, the callipers on the disc brakes are not retracting and the brakes are literally seizing up and you have to press harder on the gas pedal to get the vehicle to move? And if you go out and feel the hubcaps or wheels, you could fry and egg on it? (I've had this latter scenario. The calliper is like junk..warped or something...possibly damaged the way someone used a c-clamp to retract it for brake pad replacement, and or the rubber boot that joins the stationary part to the retractible part is broken and has allowed rust to take over.)

Old 04-21-06, 09:59 PM
tnttom25
Visiting Guest
thanks for the response. the truck has 4 wheel disc brakes. he says that its sometimes the back and sometimes the front. to answer the skidding, no but will only move with alot of gas brake pedal feels hard and hubs are hot. when i helped him we opened the bleeder on front right tire and it shot a stream out and the truck rocked forward from pressure being relieved and then it drove fine truck doesn't pull to r or l when brakes are locked. could it be the e.c.h.u.? (electronic control hydraulic unit) thx

Old 04-22-06, 07:02 AM
the right hand front badly needs a brake hose. Its becoming a check valve as the rubber deteriorates from inside. If possible change all brake hose or @ least. I hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Om

Old 04-22-06, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by otto888man
the right hand front badly needs a brake hose. Its becoming a check valve as the rubber deteriorates from inside. If possible change all brake hose or @ least. I hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Om
By opening the bleeder all you confirmed was that there was pressure on the brake system. If the right front wheel was the only one to drag you might consider the brake hose but at this time look at some other things. Is there any sign of contamination in the brake system, swollen rubber seals, fluid in the reservoir that won't mix (looks like oil and water). I have seen many cases of someone using the wrong fluid in the master cylinder. Also look for anything that might be preventing the full return of the brake pedal such as, brake/cruise switches, under dash sound insulators and mis-positioned wiring harness. Did this problem just happen? Was anything done by anyone to the vehicle just prior to this happening such as having the oil change done at a quick lube place? The next time this brake drag happens try pulling back on the brake pedal and see if the problem goes away.