Won't start

Old 04-21-06, 03:18 AM
Won't start

Have a 94 Neo Tracker. It's been running fine, but when I tried to start it this morning I get nothing with the ignition. Not even a clicking. I do have lights, accessories. A jump didn't work and I checked the fuse.

Could the problem be somewhere in the starter system? Is there any way to check? Is the solenoid on the starter unit or somewhere else?

Any ideas?

Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-06, 03:49 AM
Neutral start switch

I would start with the neutral start switch.

Old 04-21-06, 04:04 PM
where is it located and what do I look for

Old 04-22-06, 03:48 PM
Is it a automatic or manual transmission ?

Old 04-22-06, 06:19 PM
it's an automatic transmission

Old 04-23-06, 07:53 AM
Before checking the neutral switch, check the cables and terminals on your battery. Had a Toyota pickup that I thought had a bad starter. Turned out it was a bad positive terminal connection on the battery.

Old 04-23-06, 08:51 AM
Neutral switch

Check the cables, but also wiggle the shift lever (even take it out of park and put it back in park) and try to start it. Sometimes the switches stick or, as vehicles age, the shift lever has to be wiggled for the switch to make contact.

As far as where it is, before you go in and try to fix it, I would get the Haynes or Chiltons manual for the car (in other words, I do not know where it would be on a Tracker). The manuals may also give you testing tips to check components before replacing them.

Old 04-24-06, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the input and tips. I had already tried those things to eliminate as much as possible on "the flow through" chart.

What I did to was to locate the starter and tap on it and try starting the car and it worked. During the day it started on it's own, but one other time I used the "tap on the starter method" to get it to start.

Today I am making arrangemenents to get the starter changed, I'm sure it is original with the car.

Thx all.

Old 04-24-06, 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by freeandcleardot
What I did to was to locate the starter and tap on it and try starting the car and it worked.

Today I am making arrangemenents to get the starter changed
Sounds like you found the problem