Does a bigger spark mean more power, more gas mileage?...or BS?

Old 04-21-06, 04:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does a bigger spark mean more power, more gas mileage?...or BS?

I think around back in the 70's there was a marketing blitz regarding all kinds of new fangdangled spark plugs. They came out with copper...with gold...platinum...forked elctrodes... and even a spark plug that shot spark around the circumference!

The rationale was the badder the spark, the more power and better gas mileage.

But isn't the ignition of a volatile substance, like gas, resultant upon just a little spark to create a chain effect? Sort of like how you can burn down an entire forest by just having a spark ignite?

So then why do you need this massive spark?

Or DON'T you? Was this all just BS? (I haven't seen these plugs ads the way I used to...have you?) or, is their really something to this spark business?

I would think there must be SOMEthing to it because supposedly dual points and hotter coils supposedly made a big difference. But yet, as I stated above, where gas gets set off in a chain reaction by one spark......well, you tell me.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-06, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
I think around back in the 70's there was a marketing blitz regarding all kinds of new fangdangled spark plugs. They came out with copper...with gold...platinum...forked elctrodes... and even a spark plug that shot spark around the circumference!

The rationale was the badder the spark, the more power and better gas mileage.

But isn't the ignition of a volatile substance, like gas, resultant upon just a little spark to create a chain effect? Sort of like how you can burn down an entire forest by just having a spark ignite?

So then why do you need this massive spark?

Or DON'T you? Was this all just BS? (I haven't seen these plugs ads the way I used to...have you?) or, is their really something to this spark business?

I would think there must be SOMEthing to it because supposedly dual points and hotter coils supposedly made a big difference. But yet, as I stated above, where gas gets set off in a chain reaction by one spark......well, you tell me.

get a life dude

Old 04-21-06, 06:38 PM
there is probably some benefit to indexing spark plugs or using a plug like a surface gap or other style that would be more open to the air fuel mixture it is igniting however not a whole lot of gain and probably a waste of time to do on a stock vehicle.
electricity takes the path of least resistance to ground so you are not getting a bigger spark unless you increased the gap so a stock 30,000 volt coil firing a 45 thousand gap plug has the same size spark as a 60,000 volt coil would firing the same plug both coils would probably only have to make around 15000 volts to find ground while the voltage will vary on different load conditions you get the idea.
electronic ignition is far superior to points lets not go back 30 plus years.

Old 04-22-06, 02:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by LouBazooka
get a life dude
At least I raised a legitimate question worth pondering, and didn't bring up something off the wall like something George Carlin ponders while in bed. I watched him on back to back to back shows (reruns) last night on tv.

Old 04-22-06, 02:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This is at least the third opinion poll you have posted. While such posers can be fun, the purpose of this particular site, as I understand it, is to help those with auto related mechanical or electrical problems. There are plenty of other sites for debating the merits of toilet paper oil filters and water injectors.

Old 04-22-06, 02:57 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
.......George Carlin ponders while in bed. I watched him on back to back to back shows (reruns) last night on tv.
I think we've gotten to the bottom of DaveBoys problems.