1988 dodge ram stalls suddenly

Old 04-23-06, 12:23 PM
1988 dodge ram stalls suddenly

Hi,

here's hoping you can help.

My dad's truck has been behaving oddly this past month. It stalls suddenly. There isn't a real pattern, sometime it happens when idling, other when slowing down and often just while driving. Last week, we followed him down to the cottage (1 1/2 hour drive) and he stalled 5 times on the way there and then nothing on the way back. Each time, we were going anywhere from 70 to 90 km/h. Sometimes he was able to start easily just by waiting a few minutes (the longest he had to wait was 1 hour), once he actually unplugged his battery and plugged it back and it started again. Again no pattern.

He did mention that his exhaust is on the black side and that his gas consumption seems worse than before.

He brought it in to be checked, but it did not happen to the mechanic working on his truck so they weren't able to determine what the problem would be.

Any ideas what could be wrong with the truck?

Thanks!
Nadine.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-06, 04:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does it act like someone is shutting off the key? If so, that would be electrical. If so I would start by checking for bare wires under the hood and car leading to the starter where the wind going down the highway may be causing it to contact metal and short out. I would start with that.

Other than that, it could be a bad coil perhaps or maybe a bad spot in the ignition switch or ?

Yep...you can't test for bad electrical at the time it is working unfortunately. All you can go on then is viusal and guessing and also asking people familiar with that vehicle if there is a characteristic about that particular vehicle where other peoples '88's would do the same thing.

If the problem were gas related, this would be a slower starve-out.