Disc vs. drum

Old 04-23-06, 06:40 PM
Disc vs. drum

I am replacing my aging Chevy Lumina with a Ford Taurus. Both are of the same size, but Lumina has disc/disc whereas Taurus has disc/drum. Disc/disc stops quicker than disc/drum. I have to put more pressure on brake pedal for disc/drum.

But is there a real difference? If I tighten up the mechanical adjustment on the rear drum brake, will drum be as good as disc? Or drum will be drum no matter what?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-06, 06:56 PM
cant say ive noticed any difference in vehicles, on how well they stop regardless of if they have rear disc or drum brakes if it seems to take alot of pressure to stop the vehicle there is probably something wrong with the braking system.

Old 04-23-06, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by puter
I am replacing my aging Chevy Lumina with a Ford Taurus. Both are of the same size, but Lumina has disc/disc whereas Taurus has disc/drum. Disc/disc stops quicker than disc/drum. I have to put more pressure on brake pedal for disc/drum.

But is there a real difference? If I tighten up the mechanical adjustment on the rear drum brake, will drum be as good as disc? Or drum will be drum no matter what?

Thanks.

I went from a 2001 chevy silverado all disc brakes to a 2005 with disc/drum on the rear ( chevy did it in '05 ) i can't tell any difference at all, your front brakes do most of the work anyways so i dont think there's too much difference besides drums needing adjusting every so often

Old 04-23-06, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. I feel a slight drag of rear wheel now. I will tighten the mechanical brake a little without locking up the rear and see how much it improves braking. Thanks.

Old 04-24-06, 04:37 AM
Group Moderator
Before you go to the trouble of opening it up, try backing up a bunch of times [in a safe place like an empty parking lot] and stepping on the brake. If your self-adjusters are working [and that's not a given] that may help.

The major difference in braking is more likely the weight of the vehicle. I would wager the Taurus weights a bit more than the Lumina [and I've had to push plenty of both out of a parking space for a hook-up].

Old 04-24-06, 06:02 AM
Originally Posted by puter
If I tighten up the mechanical adjustment on the rear drum brake, will drum be as good as disc?
Technically it will never be "as good"
But tightening it up (a little over the self adjusters) will make it better

Old 04-24-06, 08:07 PM
Double post.

Old 04-24-06, 08:08 PM
Thanks. TowGuy is right. Taurus is a bit heavier by #100 than Lumina (police/taxi version). That could be the difference. I will adjust the mechanical brake this weekend and see how it goes. If not much improvement, I will attemt to replace the drums with the discs removed from disc-equipped Taurus. Thanks.

By the way, the self adjusters are working for there is a drag when the wheel is spun on stand. With side brake on, wheels get locked.

Old 04-27-06, 10:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Disc brakes normally take less time to replace than drum brakes.

Old 05-01-06, 09:33 AM
I would be very careful here. You can over tighten the self adjustors on the rear. The additional drag will create heat, wear out your rear brakes and drums prematurely, and decrease your fuel economy significantly. If you are noticing a difference it is probably from the quality of the front disc brake. If you use a high quality (I prefer NAPA Ceramic) disc pad you will nitice a significant differrence in braking effort and stopping distance from the econo pads used by most shops as standard equipment. But be forewarned, the price of the best brake pads is much greater than the cheapies, $65-90 versus $25-35. I've tried 'em both and only buy the best ceramic pads now. And as an added benefit, using the ceramic pads you don't get all that black brake dust all over your wheels. I know that I'm sold, but your feelings may vary form mine.... I figure I'm puting the money I save by doing it myself into better, longer lasting, higher quality parts, and I'm doing it less often, too.

Search this Thread