Cracked Frame And Passed Inspection??

Old 04-24-06, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cracked Frame And Passed Inspection??

Is this legal? I HAD a 95 taurus that just passed inspection from the dealer i had purchased it from and he passed my inspection, a few days later it broke down on the tappanzee bridge(ny) and the technician who checked it out said I had a cracked frame and not safe to drive, just wondering if that's legal please help me OUT!!!!! should I sue? I put over 500.00 into this car just to pass inspection! WTF! This guy scewed me over and I need help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-06, 01:45 PM
not sure what you are reffering to on a cracked frame is there a specific part that is cracked most cars are unibody construction which means they dont really have a frame but rather a bunch of bent sheet metal welded together.
at any rate there is no way of knowing if the crack was there during inspection and also what type of an inspection was done was it just emmision related inspection or a safety inspection.

Old 04-24-06, 01:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You can sue just about anyone, for any thing, but winning is another story.
First, What was the inspection for? If to meet EPA rules, the frame is not part of it. The dealer has no control of the car when it leaves his lot. If he did inspect the frame, it may not have been cracked at that time. I kind of thought that your car was a uni body, without a separate frame, but I could be wrong.

Old 04-24-06, 02:15 PM
Shady Mechanic

But still if the car was in the shop to have everything fixed to pass the NYS inspection, incl: New tires (up on the lift) Brakes, light sockets all adding up to $500, doesn't make any sense to my why he wouldn't even glance at the front sub frame bushing, like they were GONE. He couldn't even give me a hint, to fix it? HOW CAN HE SLEEP AT NIGHT?

Old 04-24-06, 02:26 PM
You either got a Pass for either/both when you bought it from the dealer, or you didn't

It sounds like you bought the car, took the car to a shop to have it fixed up for safety inspection, and it passed (?) and the Tow Company tech (later, and a different company) says there's some front sub-frame bushings missing?

Did you get a pass or not?
In your state do the Garages do the Safety Insp, or the DMV/RMV/MVD (State)?

Old 04-24-06, 02:49 PM
Sub Frame Bushings Gone And Passed Inspection

Ok i was just wondering if in NY during every 2 year saftey inspection it is required to check all over the car including the frame?
IF so my mechanic who did all the inspection work passed me without checking out the frame.

Old 04-24-06, 03:05 PM
Ah, that I can't answer
I can tell you it's not on the checklist in Massachusetts
So a tech at a service station here (where we get our SI) would not need to check the front sub-frame bushings to give your vehicle a pass sticker

Old 04-24-06, 04:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your car is 11 years old. IMO, any car as it ages that is of that unibody-type construction needs to periodically be put on a hoist and carefully looked at for signs of anything ready to come apart. I had a Dodge k-car and the front end broke on me driving down the highway. Salt had rusted a key weld area in the front end assembley where it mounted to the thin unibody like frame..if you can call it a frame. It then tore the remaining metal like the looks of tearing a pop can. When she let go, the car veered toward oncoming traffic and then luckily suddenly swerved to the shoulder where the left front wheel started to fold under the car and it pulled out the front axle just enough I could not pull it further onto the shoulder. Okay...that is that story.

Years ago I had a Chevy Chevette. Where the rear axle attached to the 'frame' (once again...no real frame), it was starting to pull loose and the axle was starting to shift. I sold it to some guy who I had signed a paper saying what was wrong with the car and that it was not road worthy, for liability reasons.

Then a couple years ago, I'm driving over this bridge and here is this car whose rear end fell off and it was down on it's gas tank and the whole rear end, which resembeld a barbell set, was up against the wall of the bridge, and the cop was standing there looking at this...as I drove by going, "What the...???......"

And then we have the other end of the spectrum. I have an old beater 79 GMC van. This baby is a rust bucket, but the frame and front end parts look like they could take a direct hit from a land mine and still not have anything come apart.

Bottom line: Check out these flimsy frame cars dillegently up on a hoist. Especially up in snow/salt country.

Just thought I'd share.

Old 04-24-06, 05:25 PM
you said it" broke down" , just what exactly caused the vehicle to stop running?

barry

Old 04-24-06, 06:48 PM
if you bought it from a Ford dealer, they should have known to check the subframe bushings as there is/was a recall on the subframe bolts breaking for the early mid 90s Taurus. when towing, I towed a couple of them because of the rear bolts breaking and the engine cradle dropping from the body.