Take off a steering wheel on a buick century

Old 04-25-06, 11:23 AM
Exclamation Take off a steering wheel on a buick century

I need to replace the ignition lock on a 1987 Buick Century Limited and have been told I need to take the steering wheel off first. I took a panel off the front of the steering wheel and found a large nut. I removed it but the steering wheel still wont budge. Please Help. We have lost the keys to this vehicle and need to get it running again!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-06, 01:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Before you run out and buy a steering wheel puller, which is your next step, why don't you call a GM dealer. They should, with your VIN number and proof of ownership, be able to cut you a key. Then have some spares made at a locksmith.

Old 04-25-06, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the reply

We have tried that twice already. Neither of the two sets that were made worked. They both fit into the ignition but would not turn. I have never heard of a wheel puller but I will do some research. Thanks again for the response.

Old 04-25-06, 06:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm sure that you tried this, but I just have to say it. Sometimes the steering wheel will keep the switch from turning. There is a little play in a locked wheel. Try wiggling the wheel while trying the new key. It may work.

Most any auto parts store have steering wheel pullers.

Search this Thread