Help with code po172 please

Old 04-26-06, 08:50 AM
Help with code po172 please

Hello and thanks to all you more knowlegeble folks than I...My 98 pontiac seems to have a little ailment. The engine light has been coming on intermintently for about 3 days now. I took it to auto zone and to advance auto and they both came up with PO172. The guy at autozone said it was the o2sensor before the caytalytic converter, I replaced it but it still is doing the same thing. The car is stalling and bucking and will stall out like when you come to a stop sign, but will crank back up and run ok, but starts doing it again. Took it back to autozone and had it scanned again and the guy said its possible the new oxygen sensor was defective, but not likely, and that it could be something else.....Would really appreciate any and all comments, Thanks Oren

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-06, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
Actually a P0172 is not an O2 sensor code; it is for "Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 1". Your engine is running rich. Going to have to wait for the pro's to come along with some suggestions as to cause.

Old 04-26-06, 09:43 AM
Try this link

I have found a moderately decent site to get info on trouble codes.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...gen-sensor.php

Old 04-26-06, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
That's a pretty good link, Dave; don't think I have that bookmarked.

Oren, I don't know how much the O2 sensor set you back, but I have a suspicion you got some bum advice from the AutoZone guy. I would ask why they sold you an O2 sensor for a code that was not an O2 sensor code.

Old 04-26-06, 11:20 AM
The sensor was 20.00, i'm tempted to put the old one back in and take the new one back to the store. But then on the other hand i don't think it has ever been replaced, I'll at least keep the old one since nothing is wrong with it...I don't know how often they need replacing. Anyways, Thanks Guys...Oren

Old 04-26-06, 11:51 AM
Group Moderator
If it was the original, I would keep it for $20, but I would mention at the store that when you checked the code it was NOT an O2 code. Fortunately it wasn't was of those $100+ units.

Old 04-26-06, 03:56 PM
do the easy chep thing first

Do the easy cheap thing first clean the MAF sensor.

Old 04-26-06, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by michael van
Do the easy cheap thing first clean the MAF sensor.
I'll second that

Old 04-26-06, 07:25 PM
$20 O2 sensor?????..........Not one of those "cut and splice" kinds I hope. .............
No engine size so I'll ask if the vehicle is equipped with a Mass Air Flow sensor or a MAP sensor....Failure of either of these will give you a rich mixture and a poor running engine.......ALSO
Scan the vehicle to see what the coolant temp sensor is saying.....If the engine is warm, but the CTS is showing cold a rich mixture will result. The computer will only call a fault if the sensor is way whacked out..........If it's still within an accepted range (but at the wrong end) it won't generate a code

Old 04-27-06, 01:20 PM
Well i cleaned the maf sensor (did'nt know there was such a thing before now). Just took the air filter assembly apart removed the filter and pulled the air tube off and there it was. Looked like 2 little wires in the thing plugged into the tube. I guess i cleaned it, was just spraying some carb cleaner on the wires good enough.?. Replaced the air cleaner since it looked like it needed it..Anyway that didn't seem to do any good, for when i cranked it and drove to the street entrance it cut off when i took my foot off the accelerator. So what should i try next......Please, thanks Oren