clicking noise / battery / starter solenoid

Old 04-26-06, 08:30 PM
clicking noise / battery / starter solenoid

hi -
i recently bought a 73 Ford F100 that ran excellent. then several months ago i went to start it and the battery was dead (my fault - lights on). once it was jumped all was good to go again, would start, drives fine, no probs, etc. it sat for about two weeks while i replaced the radiator and hoses and now when i try to turn it over, it makes a clicking noise around the relay starter solenoid box. i replaced the starter solenoid. i took the battery out and it started another vehicle, so put it back in, hooked everything back up tight. tried to start it again - "click click click click". should i replace the battery, the alternator, or the starter?
thanks,
aliciab

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-06, 09:21 PM
If the battery has enough juice to start another similar vehicle It probably is not it. Assuming that it isnt, Your car should start fine even if your alternator is bad, It just will not run long under certain conditions (lights/heater/AC on) before the battery will die, but it shoudl start. Now with that it would leave your starter. My guess is that thats where the problem is.

Old 04-26-06, 09:42 PM
Try to jump start it and check the battery cables for corrosion. You might need to replace the cables. Have the battery tested at an auto parts store. It may have been just strong enough to start a smaller engine, if thats what you did. You can also have the starter tested before buying a new one.

Old 04-26-06, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by aliciab
hi -
i recently bought a 73 Ford F100 that ran excellent. then several months ago i went to start it and the battery was dead (my fault - lights on). once it was jumped all was good to go again, would start, drives fine, no probs, etc. it sat for about two weeks while i replaced the radiator and hoses and now when i try to turn it over, it makes a clicking noise around the relay starter solenoid box. i replaced the starter solenoid. i took the battery out and it started another vehicle, so put it back in, hooked everything back up tight. tried to start it again - "click click click click". should i replace the battery, the alternator, or the starter?
thanks,
aliciab
my guess would be change starter solenoid first, go from there, Ford had that troublesome solenoid on older models, there's a way to jump it using a screwdriver that would tell if it's the solenoid or not, make sure bolts are tight for good ground on it against inner part of fender

Old 04-27-06, 04:59 AM
Group Moderator
As old as the vehicle is, in addition to the other suggestions, check to see if it has replacement ends on either of the battery cables (the kind that are held on to the cable with two bolts) They are notorious for getting corroded where the cable meets the end.