Automotive Cetifications

Old 04-26-06, 09:27 PM
Automotive Cetifications

Hey,
I have a question, Is there any good, industry standard certifications for automotive electricians/Mechanics/Autobody Technicians ? I do not have any formal training in any of these areas, But have worked with them on my own as a hobby. Im just thiking that this may be a better solution than expensive formal trainning.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-06, 03:51 AM
You can try taking an ASE test (Automotive Service Excellent), this's a recognized statewide certificate.

Old 04-27-06, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by New guy
You can try taking an ASE test (Automotive Service Excellent), this's a recognized statewide certificate.
That's "Automotive Service Excellence" and that certification is nationally recognized and respected. Is it possible for someone to be certified and still not be sharp as a tack? I suppose, but the tests will weed alot of the not so bright ones out. I have been fully certified as a requirement for my job when I was still working for a living! I believe you can get pre-test study courses to brush up on prior to taking the formal tests. You might want to try some of these courses/pre-tests just to see if you are up to the formal tests. Sorry I can't be more specific on these I have never used them, contact A.S.E. for more info.

Old 04-27-06, 06:42 AM
Sure does weed out lots of "know it all type"
. It's NOT an easy test and it's requires lots of experience on the field, I believe you can take a test and certified if you passed them without actually work at any repair center.

I have all 9 and currently working at Dealership for little over 20yrs.

Old 04-27-06, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by New guy
Sure does weed out lots of "know it all type"
. It's NOT an easy test and it's requires lots of experience on the field, I believe you can take a test and certified if you passed them without actually work at any repair center.

I have all 9 and currently working at Dealership for little over 20yrs.
I agree with you "New Guy", lots of field experience sure helps. I agree that someone with lots of head knowledge probably could pass the tests but you sure can't beat using that head knowledge to gain experience like you do, working on the product for a living. This sort of reminds me of when I went to college and studied automotive technology. Please don't think I am bragging here because I am trying to make a point. In college I made straight A's (that never happened before!) and I did have alot of head knowledge when I went to college and that helped with the grades. BUT, I realized the vast amount of knowledge I did not have because I lacked the experience and theory of operation aspects of the subjects I was studying. Getting a formal education in Automotive Technology was one of the best things I had ever done. Continuing education was necessary because of the ever changing advancements in the industry and I think the "New Guy" will agree with me that it is just too easy to fall behind in the business if you don't take additional classes on new products. I was a regular face at the GM Training Centers when they were still in existance. Most of the centers were replaced with on-line training.

Old 04-27-06, 02:32 PM
not sure ase would do you any good as they used to require a certain amount of experience in the field before you could be ase certified. training in the field could be accouted for some of the experience required.
most of the test are simple and not hard to pass if you either study or are familiar with the subject from experience.