02 Yukon steering locks full right or left.

Old 04-27-06, 07:07 AM
02 Yukon steering locks full right or left.

I purchased this vehicle used, It's a 02 GMC Yukon,4.8 cc,90k miles.Runs great, problem is if I turn full right or left at 5 to 8 mph and let go of the steering wheel it will continue to go in that direction. It will not return to center. If you don't know about it it could,almost did,cause and accident. I have taken it to a GMC Dealer and they replaced the steering pump and steering gear,still does the same thing. I contacted General Motors and they didn't want to do anything with it because of it's mileage.Any suggestions on what the problem might be please let me know.thanks Dale

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-06, 07:31 AM
Just some off-the-cuff thoughts on this. Check the front suspension and steering components for excessive friction that may be preventing the wheels from trying to straighten out. Also, you may want to have someone check the wheel alignment. The two angles that have major influence on steering wheel return is Caster and Steering Axis Inclination (SAI). Most alignment equipment requires you to access a seperate menu to read SAI. SAI is not adjustable and if it is out of specs it generally means something is bent and needs to be replaced. The caster angle is usually adjustable and generally the more positive the angle is, the better the steering will return to straight ahead. When you have your alignment checked, request a printout of the before and after alignment readings for your records.

Last edited by SLJ2137694; 04-29-06 at 06:45 AM.

Search this Thread