Extra quart of oil?

Old 04-27-06, 10:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Extra quart of oil?

Years ago I knew a guy who would put an extra large oil filter on his car when changing the oil so he could put an extra quart of oil in it. Are there any major benefits or detriments to this practice? Just made me wonder.

Have a good one y'all!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-06, 10:22 AM
Keeps the oil cooler
More oil to suspend dirt particles in, less dirt damage to the engine
Major-not really

Old 07-19-06, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't recomend adding any extra oil to any engine. The reason for this is that the extra oil added will raise the oil level to a point that the crank shaft can aerate the oil which will cause air to be sucked into the oil system and lead to engine failure.

Last edited by dubtheman; 07-19-06 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-20-06, 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by dubtheman
I wouldn't recomend adding any extra oil...the extra oil added will raise the oil level to a point that the crank shaft can etc...
The reason for the extra large filter is to be able to add the extra oil w/o raising the oil level
Again, technically is is helpful to have more oil (w/o raising the level), but it's on a very, very, small scale
The concept is sound, but in reality...not worth it

Old 07-20-06, 03:26 AM
Originally Posted by slickshift
The concept is sound, but in reality...not worth it
+1

I used to do that, with the all of technologies in today cars/trucks. There's no need to spend more while get nothing back. Some new car's engine today only take little less than 3qts to fill but don't have engine oil running hot problem, some other small SUV's engine use little less than 4qts to fill but then again, no oil overheating issue.

Old 07-20-06, 06:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While an oversize filter can be benifical, I doubt you will find one that increases the oil capacity by a whole quart. Adding an oil cooler will also increase the oil capacity but it's doubtfull that the typical vehichle will realize much benifit under normal use.

Old 07-20-06, 08:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Adding extra oil doesn't make an engine run cooler. Getting an oil cooler will aid in keeping the oil cooler.

If you throw an extra quart of water into a boiling pot of 6 quarts of water the extra quart will boil to.

Oil pans don't cool oil that fast where having an extra quart will do any good.

As for oil suspending contaminents, thats what filters are for. A bigger filter will won't catch any smaller contaminents than the one that came on the vehicle. changing brands to a different media type will catch different smaller contaniments. So unless your filter is going to bypass mode because it is getting clogged up, stick with the orignal filter.

Also switching to a bigger filter can damage your engine because you now you altering the pressure at wich the filter would go to bypass mode if the filter becomes clogged.

So moral of the story is you want cooler oil, buy an oil cooler they are cheap.

If your concerned about lubrication use synthetic. The extra oil doesn't do anything more than cost you extra.

Years ago farmers wrapped rags in cansisters for oil filters to.

Search this Thread