88 f150 no spark

Old 04-28-06, 08:36 AM
Unhappy 88 f150 no spark

Hi all,
I have an 88 f150 302 v8 with the TFI ignition system. There is no spark from the coil. I have replaced the following: Battery, coil, cap & rotor, ignition switch, spark plugs. My chilton book says to test the first 2 terminals to the TFI with the key on and there should be 90% battery voltage shown. I have 1.1 volts on both terminals. The third terminal should have 12 volts when starting and it does. The book says if there isn't 90% battery voltage on terminals 1&2 then check the wiring and connectors and /or replace the ignition switch. I'm not sure what to do next. The terminals 1&2 should be the PIP(profile ignition pickup) and SPOUT(spark output). Am I doing this correctly?
Thanks for any help,
Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-06, 08:50 AM
88 f150 no spark

By the way this truck did start (jump started from another vehicle) and run (sounded good even) but the battery wouldn't hold a charge so it was replaced with a good one. Shortly after was when the no spark condition occured. I also tested the TFI module and it tested ok. What next?

Old 04-28-06, 09:27 AM
No spark from the coil, and jump start worked points to bad wiring (before or at the coil)
The extra juice from the jump bridged the gap and got it going

First thing, pull the codes
Really what we're looking for is a Pass code (11) to make sure it's not an intermittent EEC-IV computer glitch (really a Quick Test or self-test) or any TFI related codes that might be stored in memory and lead to something else being investigated (the notorious TFI module)

DIY EEC-IV Code Retrieval:
http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

Old 04-28-06, 11:39 AM
check the small ground wire at the battery terminal make sure it didnt come loose or get damaged.
there should be power at 1 terminal on the module with the key on dont remeber the exact pin location if you have power to the module and coil and no fire then you probably have a bad ignition part like a module or pickup in the distributer.