My 1986 F-150's heater core is leaking

Old 04-29-06, 10:00 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My 1986 F-150's heater core is leaking

I want to by-pass the heater core to prevent further overheating. The question is, How?

Old 04-29-06, 03:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can do it one of two ways: Trace the two aprox. 1 inch black rubber hoses that enter the firewall of your vehicle...disconnect them there...then join the two hoses together with the appropriate sized 'barbed' fitting (plastic pipe that has ridges on it) and 2 stainless steel clamps.

Or, get to an easier location to the front of the engine, after you have identified the two hoses ]often they are at first a combination of rubber and/or metal tubing...but you will know if you have the right ones identified if they are the ones that enter the firewall ( which is the 'wall' between the engine compartment and the cabin of the vehicle)near each other], and disconnect and join them together by first disconnecting the hoses at each fitting...then buying more identical size hose and running the hose between the fittings on the engine, and letting the original heater hoses just lay as they are...of course out of the way, so they don't get entwined in fans, belts, or rest on hot engine parts...and perhaps put a plug in each of them (the original heater hose lines dangling there) to keep out dirt....bees, etc.

Or you can first try dumping a bottle of heavy duty radiator stop leak into the engine and run the engine for 1/2 hour and see if that cures your leak. (Or maybe you unsuccessfully tried that already?)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: