power steering fluid

Old 04-28-06, 11:32 AM
power steering fluid

on my owners manual for my 1993 grand am 2.3L SOHC, it says to use GM Part # 1052884 for power steering fluid. I want to change some of it using the turkey baster method, and was wondering what to use. The fluid is brown, so i dont think its transmission fluid, like the 94 grand am uses. Can I just use any power steering fluid? also, I noticed, a lot of the good powersteering fluids such as valvoline syn power, have stop leak in them. I do not think i want to use anything with stop leak in it. any advice? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-06, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by zzzz1486
on my owners manual for my 1993 grand am 2.3L SOHC, it says to use GM Part # 1052884 for power steering fluid. I want to change some of it using the turkey baster method, and was wondering what to use. The fluid is brown, so i dont think its transmission fluid, like the 94 grand am uses. Can I just use any power steering fluid? also, I noticed, a lot of the good powersteering fluids such as valvoline syn power, have stop leak in them. I do not think i want to use anything with stop leak in it. any advice? thanks
I doubt that your 1994 Grand Am recommends using automatic transmission fluid in the power steering. Why not just go to a GM dealer and buy the recommended fluid? Power Steering fluid from an auto parts store will probably say on it that it meets auto manufacturers requirements, if it doesn't say that I wouldn't use it. I wouldn't use any fluid with a stop leak in it, especially if I didn't have a leak. If I did have a leak, I would fix the leak. As far as synthetic fluids, I am a real believer in them, they work best under extremely hot or cold conditions.

Old 04-28-06, 06:22 PM
Thats the correct part# for pwr.steering fluid. I just picked up some at a GM dealer.