Master cylinder on a 92 Toyota Camry

Old 04-28-06, 06:59 PM
Question Master cylinder on a 92 Toyota Camry

Hello,
My son has a 92 Toyota Camry LS. front wheel drive, 4cyl, anti lock brakes.
His brakes went out and a mechanic told him it was his master cylinder.
From the old school this was always an easy fix but from what this mechanic told him it's not. He was told that a special tool was needed to get into the cylinder to fix it and they don't sell that tool any more so its best to replace the entire harness. HUH???? This is how my son explained it. Does any one know what the mechanic may be talking about? I know that the master cylinder can be purchased for 61.00 bucks But all that other stuff I am not sure about, the guy even told him it could cost up to $1,000.00.
Well my husband usually does all our work. but my son just drove it to a shop around where he broke down. Can it be fixed the usual way or is the mechanic being truthful?
Please any info will be appreciated. Thank you Sheree

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-06, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Well, here's the procedure, sheree. Draw your own conclusion on the honesty of the guy.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8013fbaf.jsp

Old 04-28-06, 07:23 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks Tow guy,
I sure appreciate that.
We use them for all our car parts I didn't realize they had a website for help. Live and learn
I guess the special tools was the (cha ching factor )huh!! I know people have to make a living but darn
I say my son will be bringing the vehicle home and getting greasy. Thanks again Sheree

Old 04-29-06, 06:04 AM
Group Moderator
Don't see much need for the special tool; a simple depth gauge is all that it needs. You're basically measuring the clearance between the rod end of the booster push rod and the master cylinder actuator. Like this one:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/starrett/dpgage02.html

Don't really need to spend that much, tho; but you get the idea.

Old 04-30-06, 10:41 PM
Smile

I would like to thank those who helped me.
I thought it would be the normal way of fixing the master cylinder but I wanted to be sure.
I would also like to update on what actually was wrong with his car. When he got it home he had a ruptured brake line on the front driver side. Cost to repair $25.00.
I am going to pay a visit to that garage and I am going to drive my sons car up there and see what kind of repair story I get.
It really is a shame that a few "bad" mechanics can easily cause the entire industry shame. They will definitely be reported if they give me a song and dance. I won't let them know the problem has been fixed I just want to see what they are going to tell me the problem is
"being I am a woman and all". Thanks again for the help.
Sheree

Old 05-01-06, 09:12 AM
Group Moderator
Sounds like somone was out to make a quick buck. Pretty big stretch to mistake a broken brake line to a bad master cylinder. Should be some serious tapdancing when you put the screws to them and I would make sure all my friends and relatives avoided the offending business, too.