Got Gas?

Old 04-29-06, 11:12 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Got Gas?

I have a 93 jeep grand cherokee. 4.0 liter inline 6. It acts like it's running out of gas. the tank is full, I changed the fuel filter and it ran fine for abouit a half hour then it started again. it would spit & sputter then i would have to pull it over, put it in neutral & feather the gas peddle and then it would come back to life for a few minutes and then it would do it again.

thanks for your help.

p.s. great web sight

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-06, 03:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have any enemies? Do you have any pranksters in the neighborhood? Do you know if anyone else near you has had any similar problems with their vehicle? (You may want to ask). Do you have a locking gas cap?

You could have water in your gas. When you took out your old filter, did you see anything in/on it?

Water in the gas will sink to the bottom of gas and be down where the pickup is, unfortunately. You may want to disconnect your fuel line at your fuel filter again and disconnect your coil wire (or perhaps better yet, one of your battery cables) and turn over your engine some (make sure no stray sparking can get any where near the gas!) cranks while you collect gas out of the fuel line into a clear glass. Let it settle and then inspect to see if you see that telltale band separation where you can see that there is water in it.

Old 04-29-06, 05:50 PM
W
Fuel pressure and volumn tests come first.............If you have enough pressure, see if you get a pint of fuel flowing in 15 or so seconds of crank............Then see if there's any "undesirables" in the fuel

Old 04-29-06, 07:50 PM
C
got gas?

thanks dave & wrench i'll check for water seperation. I would'nt
doubt some one put something in it. I was going to drop the tank & check fuel filter screen for dirt. but your way is easier to do. thanks for the info

Old 04-29-06, 07:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
After reading wrench 47 post and then re-reading the OP, what you do have does sound like the classic failure of a fuel pump, so do as he said as well. A weak fuel pump will starve out worse when more fuel is required, and then can seemingly come back to life again when you are not using the throttle as much. And that is what you have basically described.