mothballs in gas?

Old 04-29-06, 03:21 PM
mothballs in gas?

Ok I usually do not buy snake oil things and I did not buy this it was a free sample.
There is a guy at work that has some pills you put in your tank 1 pill to every 8 gallons.He swears up and down that his mini cooper went from 31 mpg to 37 mpg.
I smelled them and they smell like old fashiond mothballs and have a pink color.
I have not used any of the free sample yet I want to do some homework first.
I do not want to damage anything for being stupid.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-06, 04:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just my .02: Ounce for ounce...calorie per calorie...dollar per dollar...I think of any additive, you will simply get the most explosion per ounce per dollar than you will these miracle additives.

Say you had to give $5 per moth ball, let's say. Is that going to equal the power of 1 1/2 gallons of gas? THAT sort of thing.

And the other sort of thing is that supposedly nobody has discovered any miracle product for engines that boosts mileage and power for vehicles, that make economic sense. If there were, the govt. would order car manufacturers to include the device or inform people to buy the additive.

Old 04-29-06, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
Mythbusters did a piece on various urban legend additives [including mothballs] and it was "busted".

Old 04-29-06, 07:50 PM
I love that show...don't you? Loved the episode where they shot chickens at a plane windshield. Or when they sent Buster for aride down the elevator crashing to see if jumping up at the last minute helps. (Ha!...poor buster) Or...well, anyway.

Old 04-29-06, 08:59 PM
Acetone (pure acetone) has been experimented with some people, and has boosted mpgs. Something to try, searching google gets alot on this.

Old 04-30-06, 02:00 AM
ok

Ok I am going to do a bit more homework and see.The things are 1 dollar a pill.
I will let my buddy try it first in his Hemi powerd truck he gets 12 mpg without it
I have a Corolla a Tacoma and a Taurus all not that bad on gas.

Old 04-30-06, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
Better do some math, too. At $1/pill and 1pill/8gallons where's the savings?

Here's some sample numbers.

You buy 24 gal of gas @ $3/gal = $72
You get 31 mpg = 744 miles of driving or 9.68 cents a mile.

You but 24 gal of gas @ $3/gal = $72 + $3 for the "pills = $75 [even excluding any taxes, shipping, etc on the "pills].
You get 37 mpg = 888 miles of driving or 8.44 cents a mile for whopping savings of 1.24 cents a mile. If you drive 13,000 miles a year you would save $161 dollars

This assumes, of course that you could actually achieve the 31-37 increase. As Daveboy points out, anything that would boost mileage by that much (20%!) would have already been seized on by the car makers to meet government-mandated fleet fuel economy standards.

Personally, I'm not about to stick a foreign substance in my tank to save three bucks a week.

Old 04-30-06, 10:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it smells like moth balls, it probably contains Naptha. You can buy VM&P Naptha (varnish maker's and painters Naptha) at any big box or paint store. Works great as a substitute for lighter fluid but I doubt it will do much, if anything good for your car.

Old 04-30-06, 01:54 PM
Thats right

Yes that right it is not much of a savings if you do the math and putting something into the tank that might damage engine or fuel system.
I have used Naptha in my zippo and you are right it is a good lighter fluid .
I am going to pass on the pills does not seem like it is worth it.

Old 04-30-06, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
And I did a little surfing and reading and I can sum it up in 3 words:

multi-level marketing.

"Nuff said.

Old 05-01-06, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by v8driver
Acetone (pure acetone) has been experimented with some people, and has boosted mpgs. Something to try, searching google gets alot on this.
But can you buy acetone for 80 cents per quart. Because gas costs that or less. If not, you better do the math on weighing- out claimed efficiency per quart or gallon of gas, like the way "the_ tow_ guy" did.