Urgent Help_Car Running HArd 2001 Altima

Old 04-30-06, 04:46 AM
Angry Urgent Help_Car Running HArd 2001 Altima

Please help me
i have a 2001 Nissan Altima GXE
I carried my car to the local Repair Store to have the thermostat housing replaced becuase it was leaking coolant. when i took the car home i ran hot and all the coolant was leaking , the mechanic forgot to reattach the lower radiator hose to the engine. i reattached it and everything was fine.
now that i drive the car seems to be running very hard never ran this hard before
i am thinking bout carrying it back to the local repair store to complain that something they did is wrong
P.S to get to the thermostat housing i think the mechanic had to remove the distributor could he had have put it back on incorrectly (could this be the problem)

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-06, 05:17 AM
Group Moderator
I don't know how the thermostat housing is configured on an Altima, but I would be very surprised if a thermostat replacement required removal of the distributor.

When you say you ran "hot" on the way home just how hot and for how long was the engine run hot? If they forgot to attach the lower hose it would mean there was also no coolant in the radiator. You could have a more serious problem than a misinstalled distributor.

Old 04-30-06, 06:16 AM
Urgent help 2001 Altima

i was thinking that worst case scenario, do u think that because no coolant was in the radiator that it may have damaged the engine itself
also although i said distributor in my initial post ( its the thing that the spark plug wires attach to right

Old 04-30-06, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
Think we lost part of your post there, scooby.

So, you picked up the car and drove it how far before you noticed it was running hot? More than a mile or two and there's a pretty good chance you could have a head/head gasket problem.

What did the garage say about the screw-up? They would be liable for any damage caused by their incompetence. Worst case would be a warped head that could run you $500-1000 to fix.

And, just curious, on the repair order were you charged for coolant?

Search this Thread