Blue Smoke

Old 04-30-06, 07:46 AM
Blue Smoke

My wife has noticed some blue smoke from the tailpipe when she starts her car. There is a slight smell of oil. This only happens when the car is cold. Could this be a problem with the rings?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-06, 07:59 AM
Blue smoke from exhaust

I'm not a mechanic, but I was told once that black smoke is oil. Blue smoke is a fuel problem.

Old 04-30-06, 08:39 AM
OK. If it is fuel what could the problem be? And the smell of oil, would that be related to the same problem?

Old 04-30-06, 09:14 AM
Blue smoke from exhaust

As I mentioned, I'm not a mechanic. But, I was just thinking. I have a riding lawnmower that blows out a bunch of blue smoke when I first start it. Then when I shut the choke, the smoke goes away. I believe a choke ensures plenty of fuel to help it get started. Just as a push mover has the little pump ball that you push three times before starting. At first, Blue smoke pours out. So maybe the problem is your burning too much fuel. Yet, cars these days are too complicated for me to understand or remedy. When I had this problem with my 1973 Grand Prix, I don't recall what we did to fix it. Hopefully, a knowledged mechanic will answer this thread for you soon.

Old 04-30-06, 09:58 AM
did some research on the blue smoke

Blue smoke is caused by engine oil entering the cylinder area and being burned along with the fuel air mixture. If it's not too bad, the research recommended using a thicker oil weight, or a additive that may seal the leak.

In addition, I was wrong! Black smoke is from burning too much fuel. Blue is oil and fuel. Sorry! I found this info bydoing a Google search "Blue Exhaust Smoke."

Old 04-30-06, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by michaeleast1
I'm not a mechanic, but I was told once that black smoke is oil. Blue smoke is a fuel problem.
Sorry, but you've got that backwards.

Old 04-30-06, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by pkotwas
My wife has noticed some blue smoke from the tailpipe when she starts her car. There is a slight smell of oil. This only happens when the car is cold. Could this be a problem with the rings?
Blue smoke is from oil entering the combustion chamber. The oil may be getting by the valve guide seals. If this is just a puff of smoke and the engine doesn't burn excessive amounts of oil, you probably don't have much to worry about.

Last edited by SLJ2137694; 05-10-06 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-09-06, 01:01 PM
Thanks. The blue smoke is only when the car is cold when started. We also had an oil flush service a while ago, but the shop that changes our oil says the oil still comes out very black at every oil change. We get it changed every three thousand miles. Should we have someone look into these problems?

Old 05-09-06, 03:22 PM
no problem

First off blue is oil black is fuel. It is not uncommon for mostly GM cars to puff a little blue smoke on start it is seepage past the valve guides NO big deal not worth fixing.

Old 05-09-06, 05:04 PM
pkotwas,

how about a little help.
what year,make and model is the car?
are you the type of guy that likes to get their hands dirty?
there are several things that cause this depending on the car,
as was stated there is leakage of oil into the combustion chamber.
despite the ads on t.v. there isn't a additive that can resolve this problem. it needs to be mechanically addressed. let us know what you got and your abilities, and we can go from there.
we are here to help.

barry

Old 05-09-06, 05:45 PM
Lightbulb

as many people have said its oil getting in to one of the cylinders and being burned with the gas. is it smoking really really bad if so you could have a blown head gasket.

Old 05-09-06, 06:59 PM
Thanks. The blue smoke is only when the car is cold when started. We also had an oil flush service a while ago, but the shop that changes our oil says the oil still comes out very black at every oil change. We get it changed every three thousand miles. Should we have someone look into these problems?
This sounds like valve stem seals..... also black oil is nothing to worry about.... this is no indication the oil has given out. And engine flushes are a big no no... this may dislodge whatever chunks of sludge you had in the engine, and clog the oil pump pickup screen... and its mostly a waste of money since most flushes are basically mostly kerosene.

Old 05-10-06, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
Just curious, but did the puff of smoke in the morning begin right after the first time you had the oil flush service done? Those flushes sometimes, as V8 mentions, flush loose stuff that was better off where it was. It will occassionally casue a leak to develope where there wasn't one previously (like valve guide seals).

Your oil is dirty when you have it changed??? Sorry, that sarcasm wasn't for you, it was for the guys trying to sell you more unnecessary services. Your oil is supposed to be dirty when you change it. Just make sure you keep it changed at the recommended intervals.

Old 05-10-06, 06:50 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Just curious, but did the puff of smoke in the morning begin right after the first time you had the oil flush service done? Those flushes sometimes, as V8 mentions, flush loose stuff that was better off where it was. It will occassionally casue a leak to develope where there wasn't one previously (like valve guide seals).

Your oil is dirty when you have it changed??? Sorry, that sarcasm wasn't for you, it was for the guys trying to sell you more unnecessary services. Your oil is supposed to be dirty when you change it. Just make sure you keep it changed at the recommended intervals.
LOL, they must think oil will stay new for ever, good one, my oil comes out dirty when i change it too. (this isnt directed at anyone to be offensive, its just funny)

Old 05-11-06, 06:38 PM
to address derrick,
a blown head gasket would produce a whole lot more symptoms that what was stated in the first post, water in the oil, low coolant levels, loss of power, white smoke from the exhaust while it is in operation, spark plug malfunction, the list can go on.

barry

Old 05-12-06, 06:43 AM
Its always a possibility.

Old 05-13-06, 03:04 AM
A puff of blue smoke on start up is oil leaking past the valve seals and burning off. There's one cause for this that might be of concern, and that is if the oil return passages in the heads are plugged, disallowing the oil to flow back to the pan and staying up on top of the heads. But if this is not the case, I would live with. Also, oil is always black when it's due to be changed. If it's brown or grey, then u have problems.

Old 05-13-06, 06:05 AM
Group Moderator
And if it's green or orange, you've REALLY got problems. Don't laugh. Just towed a vehicle in to a shop the other day where the owner thought he was low on coolant so he poured in a gallon.......in the oil filler.

Old 05-21-06, 08:05 PM
Wow

I am actually having the same issues and I don't know what to do. The car is a 91 Carolla and I just had it checked for a blown head gasket. The mechanics ran a hydrocarbon test on it to check for it but they said they found no problems with it. I'm hoping I won't have to have my engine overhauled but it looks like just as such. Maybe changing the spark plugs would work? Unfortunately unlike the one guy, my car is letting out HUUUUUUUUGE tufts of smoke that really only start when I start driving. But the most random thing is, is that it'll only do it some days like last night it was fine as was this morning. But then this afternoon it was ridiculous as was this evening.

What should I do?

<-Kev->

Old 05-22-06, 01:54 AM
what to do

Do a compression check to see if it is rings or valves.Get a good comression guage one that screws into the spark plug hole. How many miles on your car?

Old 05-22-06, 04:31 AM
Group Moderator
Here's a good article to go with the compression test. You'll need to be familiar with the "wet" portion of the test:

http://thephantomwriters.com/free_co...ion-test.shtml

Old 05-24-06, 12:01 AM
Valve stem seals need to be replaced.

Old 07-20-06, 02:09 PM
I have a Buick LeSabre 1997 with 92,000 miles. Just had an induction service done and then it started to blow more like white smoke only when started.

It was not doing this before the induction service, I am thinking that they must have raced the engine a lot.

At first I thought it was because they left around 1+ qts of oil overfull but when I drained the oil to the right level it is still blowing smoke.

If it is the valve stem seals that needs replacing, is that a major job? $$$?

Thanks,

Old 07-20-06, 03:09 PM
oil is blue

Oil smoke is blue not white white is water.valve seals smoke on start up most of the time and is nothing to worry about.
Your smoke might bee some left over cleaner better hope it goes away or you might have bigger problems.

Old 07-22-06, 11:22 AM
hi
check the pcv valve to make sure it's not plug.