Front rim removal ?????????????????

Old 04-30-06, 09:58 AM
Front rim removal ?????????????????

I just bought a 1988 nova. I am trying to get the front rims off to put new pads on. I took to lug nuts off, I had to buy a 16 dollar socket, along with my impact wrench was able to get the nut off. Now my question is why the need for the lug nuts and the other 32 mm nut if the rim still will not come off. I did pound the tire back and forth to release it from its pressed on perch but that was not the answer either, Is there something in behind the wheel that needs unbolted?

I noticed the boot in behind the wheel, when I do find a way to get rim off what will happen to this rubber boot, such as will oil leak out or will I break a gasket.

Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-06, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by mowpar
I just bought a 1988 nova. I am trying to get the front rims off to put new pads on. I took to lug nuts off, I had to buy a 16 dollar socket, along with my impact wrench was able to get the nut off. Now my question is why the need for the lug nuts and the other 32 mm nut if the rim still will not come off. I did pound the tire back and forth to release it from its pressed on perch but that was not the answer either, Is there something in behind the wheel that needs unbolted?

I noticed the boot in behind the wheel, when I do find a way to get rim off what will happen to this rubber boot, such as will oil leak out or will I break a gasket.

Please help.
The rim is an integral part of a wheel and is not removeable unless you use a cutting torch! You are trying to remove a WHEEL. If the wheel is rusted to the hub, re-install the wheel nuts and then back each one off about one turn. In your driveway or elsewhere for safetys sake, make some hard stops and starts and hopefully the wheel will break loose. If you have the space you can make some turns also. The 32mm nut should not have been removed to remove the wheel. Be sure that nut is tightened securely. A rust penetrant solvent can also be helpfull here.

Old 04-30-06, 12:38 PM
Rim remo val

Rims are off now the rotors will not budged Whats up widdat?

Old 04-30-06, 12:39 PM
Rim remo val

Rims are off now the rotors will not budge, Whats up widdat?

Search this Thread