Help with that PO172 again

Old 04-28-06, 11:17 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with that PO172 again

Thanks Guys....OK I found and cleaned the maf sensor located in the air breather assembly....Sprayed carb cleaner on it 3 or 4 times. Car still running very bad though, and a strong stinking smell of unburned gas coming from the exhaust. If i press the accelerator to the floor it sort of surges like it can't run at full throttle. Could the maf sensor be defective, if so how can i tell without buying a new one. Also checked for vacumn leaks, but could find none...By the way it is a 1998 pontiac grand am-se, with a 4 cylinder engine. Oren

Old 04-28-06, 11:42 AM
B
if thats the only code you are getting you might have the exhuast checked for a restriction.

Old 04-29-06, 06:04 AM
O
exhaust appears not to be blocked, lots of raw foul smelling gas coming out though. If the MAF sensor was defective would it cause this problem, thanks again....oren

Old 04-30-06, 01:31 PM
R
MAF will definitely cause those symtoms.Make sure you have no leaks in the air filter assembly.I have found on GM MAFS,that it was not getting a good ground.Try finding a wire schematic and run a new ground to the MAF.

Old 04-30-06, 06:09 PM
B
generaly it would set a maf sensor specific code if it was bad enough to cause the problems you describe. dont overlook the exhuast even if it does appear to be flowing ok an exhuast shop can check the backpressure on the exhuast system in about ten minutes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: