Tire repair.

Old 04-30-06, 11:43 AM
Tire repair.

I'm concerned about the quality of a tire after it has had a puncture repair. In the last year I had a nail in one tire that was repaired and last month a screw stuck in another that I also had repaired. Both tires appear fine. My sister and I are about to take a longer than average trip and I was wondering if a repaired tire is as okay as a regular one? The fellow at the shop said the tread was fine or they wouldn't fix it but are these repired tires safe and reliable at 70MPH all day on the Interstate?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-06, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Atrypa
I'm concerned about the quality of a tire after it has had a puncture repair. In the last year I had a nail in one tire that was repaired and last month a screw stuck in another that I also had repaired. Both tires appear fine. My sister and I are about to take a longer than average trip and I was wondering if a repaired tire is as okay as a regular one? The fellow at the shop said the tread was fine or they wouldn't fix it but are these repired tires safe and reliable at 70MPH all day on the Interstate?

thanks.

Usually good quality tires with good thread on them are safe,provided tire was balanced when repaired and has never been out of alignment for too long or has no unusual wear, worst case scenario would be tire losing air slowly but a blown out tire at 70mph is unlikely under normal conditions.
Use own discretion.

Old 04-30-06, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Atrypa
...are these repired tires safe and reliable at 70MPH all day on the Interstate?
Yes, they should be fine

High-speed rated tires will have their ratings lowered by repairs if not repaired in a specific manner
This is in reference to say, V rated tires (149 MPH), which could get lowered if not properly repaired (I don't remember off-hand, it could be to 139 or 129, something like that)

But with the proper repair even they can retain their speed rating

Regular tires, it's really not an issue

Old 04-30-06, 04:50 PM
Thank you for the information. I now feel a lot more confident and we will enjoy the trip more. Our father taught us to change a tire as a condition of getting our license and if, per chance, we just get a leak, it's something we can handle.