Gas is KILLING me

Old 05-01-06, 07:47 AM
Gas is KILLING me

Hey everyone,
as you know, the price of gas is skyrocketing and, having an suv, my wallet is feeling the effects of it. i'm looking for some good ways to get a few extra miles per gallon. right now i'm only getting about 12-14 city. if this means investing in new parts, i'm all for it. i have a 2002 Ford Explorer EXT.
any ideas?
thanks for everything

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-06, 08:01 AM
Lightbulb

Im no expert but if you go to your local "Advance Auto parts" store, they have addititives like "Lucas fuel injector cleaner" it cleans your entire fuel system so your fuel will burn cleaner and its supposed to boost you gas mileage also, they also have other addititives also but i say lucas products are the best, you can always consider lucas products (other products are good too though), another bet would be to change your spark plugs and your spark plug wires so your engine wont skip and waste gas (bad spark plugs and wires also lower your gas mileage because when your engine skips it dont burn the gas injected, and that gas is lost). (Marvel Mystery oil is also a good fluid that you can add to your gas and oil you might want to consider looking at that too)

Old 05-01-06, 08:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A tune up and properly inflated tires. A new air filter if not included in the tune up.

Depending on where you go, and the weather, a bicycle for short trips. You could even carry it in your EXT.

Old 05-01-06, 08:22 AM
thanks guys, i'll be sure to do all suggested.
as far as air filters go, does anyone have any opinions on the Tornado Fuel Saver? it's basically an airfilter that swirls the air around and moves it faster so that SOMEHOW you get an increase in fuel by 7-28%
any thoughts?

Old 05-01-06, 08:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That product has been discussed here recently. Also the Feds have tested 100's of these type of items and they all fall into the general category of snake oil.

Old 05-01-06, 08:55 AM
Group Moderator
Drive at the posted limits, too. Can't imagine what the suv driver's are thinking when I see them driving the gas-guzzlers down the interstate at 85 mph.

I feel your pain; I fill my tow truck daily with 20-25 gallons.

Old 05-01-06, 10:34 AM
The latest AAA testing shows once again the single most important factor in gas mileage is driving patterns

Smoooooooth is the word

No stabbing of brakes or throttle
Lots of coasting

As TG says, the highway speed was a big factor in AAAs testing also
I would add keep it slow regardless of the posted speed limits
The differences between 55 and 75 were of course large, but the differences between 65 and 75 were not insignificant
I'd say even if you were in a 75 MPH zone keep it at 65, or less

My temporary real world 2.5 hour commute in a mini-van bears this out with some real-world personal experience
It got to the point where I'd set the speed control @ 55 regardless of the posted limit
I'd get an extra trip out of a tank
Not insignificant and worth leaving a little earlier for

Old 05-01-06, 10:41 AM
gsr
driving habits...

Assuming your vehicle is working properly (how many miles and what size engine do you have) the best way to improve your mileage is how you drive. I haven't seen a gizmo yet that reliably improves your mileage. Your best improvement is slow down. I'll save 2-3 mpg going 63 mph rather than 78 in my suburban. Also fast starts/stops all work against you.

Old 05-01-06, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by gsr
Assuming your vehicle is working properly (how many miles and what size engine do you have) the best way to improve your mileage is how you drive.
its a V6 engine with not yet 50k miles on it. i've never had any engine trouble either. unless of course you want to consider poor mileage as trouble. haha.
i checked into the tornado thing on another post and on PM. sounds like it doesnt help much.
thanks for all the help, i'll be sure to try it all out

Old 05-01-06, 04:35 PM
air filter placement

hey guys,
i was talking to some friends of mine, and they suggested that moving my air intake may help out. if i could position it near the grill and minimize twists and turns in the tube, would this be advantageous?
thanks for all the advice so far

Old 05-01-06, 05:55 PM
there is a reason why the ducting was designed in the configuration that you have, there are many controls in the fuel/ air induction that would take way to long to go into here so leave that part of the system alone. the best way to save fuel is to do what was suggested in the past post sans the fuel saving additves , use that money for gas. let the car warm up a little to get the fluids to temp, no jack rabbit starts from a start to another infernal red light/stop sign, predict slowing down before coming to a stop instead of flying to it, as was said, driving habits and proper maintenance on the vehicle will give you the best mileage that the vehicle can get(also, have the brakes checked, to make sure that they are not dragging, happens a lot). also refuel at the coolest part of the day(gas won't be lost as vapor in the heat of the day), and always try to keep the tank at least half full all of the time, one it will seem like you are spending less and two there will be less room for the fuel to vaporize and go to atmosphere when you open the fuel filler cap. sorry for the long post, but i'm trying to make sure that you are informed as well as the many of us that are stuck in the same situation. just one more thing, keep it as clean and waxed as possible and to remove anything not needed to remove drag on the vehicle. let us know how it goes, we are here to help.

barry

Old 05-01-06, 06:30 PM
Sounds like a lot of work to save pennies.
Best fuel mileage comes from not driving (commuting excluded). I took two trips today; one was south and consisted of two stops (necessary stops), and one was west, which included five stops, all on a convenient loop route and also necessary. That pretty well completes my trips for the week. You'd be amazed how many people will take multiple trips that could be delayed for another time. A separate trip to the market each day? Happens all the time.Another interesting observation is people that squawk about the price of gas while they are smoking their 40 dollar a carton cigarettes.
Strange world.

Old 05-01-06, 08:05 PM
I,being a family guy and bread winner went the easy way out.I bought a cheap fixer-upper 4-banger car and swallowed it.I was young once and had to have the latest and greatest,but wasn't getting any richer in the process.

Just my 1 cent

Old 05-01-06, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by larchy
i was talking to some friends of mine, and they suggested that moving my air intake may help out. if i could position it near the grill and minimize twists and turns in the tube, would this be advantageous?
The concept is sound...sort of

In theory, the straighter intake with smooth walls and little or no swirling of the incoming air charge would allow an optimized engine to produce more power
That doesn't mean better gas mileage, and that's only if that part of the system is restrictive
...and really we're talking about race engines and/or hot rodding at this point
That's fine by me

If you put the intake hose right into the grill, you would get a small ram air effect
Since the engine is, to use an over-worked analogy, basically an air pump, yes...ramming air could help the engine produce more power-perhaps freeing up power is a better term

Removing the resonator is also a common hot-rod trick
That's the piece of plastic before the air intake tube
It's also called a silencer
It's purpose is to convolute the air rushing into the engine, thus quieting that noise down

On some engines that could be a restriction
Removing that is a common hot-rodding tip

The paper panel air filter is also a common restriction
A high-flow panel or conical filter is a better choice for freeing up horsepower by fixing a restriction in the incoming charge air

So, remove the restrictive resonator, re-route the air intake hose to the grill for a ram air effect, use super smooth tubes up to your conical oil/cotton filter, then a straight smooth intake hose right up to your throttle body

Now, you've probably just goosed your power up a bit
You've released a few restrictive parts of the system
Maybe enough to even feel it
Probably not
(It takes more than people think to actually feel it)

Your exhaust is still a restriction now you've got to address that
And if your engine isn't up to dealing with the extra air (it's a it's max already), then that was a waste of time effort and money

After all that, will it help you with your fuel economy?
Well, what to you think the computer will do when it senses that 'extra' air under load?
It will add more fuel by increasing the "on" cycle of the injectors (= more fuel, not less)

Conceivably, the perfect balance of just the right add-on/take-off parts, intake and exhaust, could be perfected to increase fuel economy of a particular engine on a particular vehicle
But re-routing the air intake on an Explorer isn't gonna do it

These friends, they got those shiny cold air intakes on their cars?
Pretty huh?
Regardless of what the proud owners say, those thing didn't help that much
Maybe if stock the intake was real convoluted it might help, and the colder, denser, charge air is always better for power
So really, it couldn't hurt
Is it worth it?
....well, they sure do look pretty
If it makes them feel good about DIY hot-rodding their cars then that's cool
Hey more hot rodders is a good thing IMO
But we learned about those things years ago on the dyno
They are basically a poser prop

Old 05-01-06, 09:02 PM
tune it up

just make sure engine and tranny run good, good spark plugs, good air & fuel filter, good belt(s), tranny filter, switch to synthetic oil if you can, it runs slicker than conventional and reduces friction and heat compared to conventional.
K&N Intake helps on acceleration, not too sure about gas mileage, less restrictive exhaust like flowmaster helps too, in general ford have never been good on gas so don't expect too much.
Once I drove a chevy tahoe with the 4.8 L V8 Vortec , went 280 miles with little more than half a tank that's 21 miles a gallon or so... Now I drive a silverado 5.3 L Vortec and is also really good on gas for being a V8

Old 05-01-06, 09:18 PM
i'm starting to feel as if i should give up hope on saving a little extra at the pump. i just wish that gas was still around a dollar like back in '02 around the time of purchase. thanks for all the help guys. i really appreciate it. i'm thinking a little tune up may help a bit, just to make sure she's running clean.

Old 05-02-06, 09:08 AM
I have had gas guzzlers and nothing worked, replacing it did.