Transmission Woes

Old 05-01-06, 07:17 PM
Transmission Woes

My work truck has suffered a catastrophic Transmission Failure. Any help in pre-diagnosing would be wonderfully appreciated. This is a full sized Chevy Van, 1989 with a 5.0L TBO V8 engine, and the tranny is a 4L60. The tag says it's a 9TJM. My wife has no Ford Explorer until I get this fugured out, and I'm reluctant to take it to a shop. I have rebuilt Ford C4 Transmissions before, so a lack of tools and expertise is not a problem. However, I would like to arm myself with as much info as possible so I don't run the risk of getting ripped off, because quite frankly I don't have the time to tear this one apart and rebuild it. I thought that the problem was in the rear end differential, because that was where the sound was coming from. After disassembling the rear end, and removing both rear axles, I found them all to be in pristine condition. Apparently the sound was emanating from the tranny and transmitted along the drive train, decieving me. Now it won't shift, and the engine revs to high RPM, while I attain 20 mph max. while idling, I can hear little rattling tinkles that lead me to believe that the blades in the torque converter have failed. The Trans fluid is full and very clean looking. Anyone with any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-06, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by captwally
My work truck has suffered a catastrophic Transmission Failure. Any help in pre-diagnosing would be wonderfully appreciated. This is a full sized Chevy Van, 1989 with a 5.0L TBO V8 engine, and the tranny is a 4L60. The tag says it's a 9TJM. My wife has no Ford Explorer until I get this fugured out, and I'm reluctant to take it to a shop. I have rebuilt Ford C4 Transmissions before, so a lack of tools and expertise is not a problem. However, I would like to arm myself with as much info as possible so I don't run the risk of getting ripped off, because quite frankly I don't have the time to tear this one apart and rebuild it. I thought that the problem was in the rear end differential, because that was where the sound was coming from. After disassembling the rear end, and removing both rear axles, I found them all to be in pristine condition. Apparently the sound was emanating from the tranny and transmitted along the drive train, decieving me. Now it won't shift, and the engine revs to high RPM, while I attain 20 mph max. while idling, I can hear little rattling tinkles that lead me to believe that the blades in the torque converter have failed. The Trans fluid is full and very clean looking. Anyone with any ideas?
You say it won't shift and it revs....so can you shut it off and put it in park....start it up and shift it? does it do it all of the time? I just had my transmission replaced with a rebuilt one in my mustang...there are some planetary gears in the back that will cause these symptoms...you have to rip the whole tranny apart to get to them...good luck

Old 05-02-06, 07:23 AM
Lightbulb

go to advance auto parts and get a bottle of "Lucas Automatic transmission stop slip" take it home put it in a pot about half full of water and boil it in the pot of water for about 3 or 4 minutes to get it thin enough to pour into the transmission without having to stand there forever because its real real thick, then pour it in and crank it up and let it warm up for about 5 minutes (dont race the motor) then get in it and see if that helps. good luck.

Old 05-02-06, 07:34 AM
I tend to agree with you on the idea that the blades in the converter may have broken. Did you do a stall test? Foot on brake and gas down with a tachometer hooked up. How equipped is your shop to yank the converter and check it out?