Gas Gauge Issue

Old 05-03-06, 07:15 AM
Gas Gauge Issue

Our 2000 Ford Taurus has an intermittent gas gauge problem. Half the time it works fine. The other half it just drops to "E" and the fuel warning light comes on. It has been this way for over a year now, and I have trained my wife to use the mileage reset and just fill up after 300 miles or so.

I did remove the back seat to see if all the connections to the tank were good, and they did appear to be. The fact that the gauge and light works leads me to think the problem is in the tank not the dash

History - the gas tank was replaced about 4 years ago do to a leak. So they had to swap the pump and sending unit when they did that repair

What else could I check before I have to drop the tank and monkey with the sending unit? Any relays or computers in this circuit?

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-06, 04:24 AM
Originally Posted by JimN
Our 2000 Ford Taurus has an intermittent gas gauge problem. Half the time it works fine. The other half it just drops to "E" and the fuel warning light comes on. It has been this way for over a year now, and I have trained my wife to use the mileage reset and just fill up after 300 miles or so.

I did remove the back seat to see if all the connections to the tank were good, and they did appear to be. The fact that the gauge and light works leads me to think the problem is in the tank not the dash

History - the gas tank was replaced about 4 years ago do to a leak. So they had to swap the pump and sending unit when they did that repair

What else could I check before I have to drop the tank and monkey with the sending unit? Any relays or computers in this circuit?

Jim
hi i had a chevy beretta for years and i replaced the fuel pump 3 times the first time learning not to disturb any parts for i had the same problem with the guage all over the place from full to empty had to drop the tank again and replace sending unit for it was just bent slightly that could be your problem good luck
scott
greenfield ma