Racing engine

Old 05-04-06, 12:57 PM
Racing engine

1997 Chevy Lumina 3.1L V6 122k miles
On the way back home I noticed the car was not slowing down with foot off the gas pedal. At the traffic light, rpm was 1600 in Drive. Engine started racing as I was shifting the lever to Neutral. It's been this way for next 30 miles (interstate highway).

Once off interstate, pulled the car over. Stopped the engine and opened the hood. Moved the part that rotates as gas pedal is pushed. Moved both cable attachments, one from the gas pedal and the other from cruise control.

Didn't know what else to do. Restarted the engine. 1100 rpm. Drove the car home.

What could have been wrong with the car? No error code except P440 which has been there for a few years now. (Fuel vapor line not purging or closing right).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-06, 12:17 PM
This happened again today. I wonder if it happens only when the engine is warm. Any suggestion will be much appreciated. I cannot take the car to my mechanic now because the problem cannot be always reproduced.

Thanks.

Old 05-05-06, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by puter
This happened again today. I wonder if it happens only when the engine is warm. Any suggestion will be much appreciated. I cannot take the car to my mechanic now because the problem cannot be always reproduced.

Thanks.
sounds like your cable is binding up or getting stuck, try replaceing the cable

Old 05-05-06, 05:14 PM
When it happened again today, I stopped the car but let the engine continue to run. I opened the hood and moved the throttle linkage. No change. Cables were not binding at all.

Does IAC (Idling Air Control?) motor go bad? I checked my service manual and the only diagnostic section related to idling problems has IAC mentioned as well as others such as PCV valve. It says IAC binds from gunks (not exact words). I should at least take it out and spray with throttle cleaner spray.

I will update you on this problem. Thanks.

Old 05-05-06, 07:18 PM
Boy, IAC motor spindle was caked up with hard deposits that even steel brush could not remove completely. There was no way it could close completely (or near completely). I hope the deposits were the cause of racing engine.

Old 05-05-06, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by puter
Boy, IAC motor spindle was caked up with hard deposits that even steel brush could not remove completely. There was no way it could close completely (or near completely). I hope the deposits were the cause of racing engine.
ya if its not closeing thats why you have a racing engine

Old 05-06-06, 12:55 PM
It's doing it again. There seems to be a pattern. It happens only after engine gets, serveral miles of driving.

I've done google search. IAC, MAF, O2 sensor, etc. I will replace IAC and see what happens.