Geo Tracker Check engine light

Old 05-04-06, 02:34 PM
Geo Tracker Check engine light

I have a 1996 Geo Tracker that has the "check engine soon" light on steady. Car seems to be running fine, but my concern is if there is a problem about to occur? Owners manual says it may be the catalytic convertor, but wouldn't the car be running rough, noisy or bad on gas mileage if so? Any clues as to what I should try?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-06, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
Stop by Auto Zone if there's one in your area. They will read the codes for free. Post back the codes they tell you and we'll take it from there. Check engine light problems run the gammut from a loose gas cap to a bad sensor. The owner's manual suggests the catalytic converter??? Doubtful. Get the codes read, but don't buy parts until you consult a mechanic or post back here for advice.

Old 05-07-06, 09:41 AM
how many miles does it have, some cars will, after they get 100,000 miles on it or so maybe 150, then it will come on and stay on until you take it to a dealer or something and they have to check all the systems and then they will put it on a computer and they enter that it has been serviced by the manufacturer and then they will turn it off for another 100,000 miles or so.