AC Problems 96 Chevy S10

Old 05-05-06, 10:26 AM
AC Problems 96 Chevy S10

Iíve got a 1996 Chevy S10 pickup. My AC stopped working near the beginning of last fall. For a short time it would work sporadically. You could get in the vehicle and the AC wouldnít work. But after a while, it would just start working. I decided it was time to get it fixed because itís nearing summer time in Texas. Here are the symptoms.
The fan wonít blow and the compressor wonít kick in. When you unplug the blower motor the compressor will begin working. But when you plug it back in it stops again. You can jump the blower to the battery and it will start working, along with the compressor. When you touch any of the controls inside the truck (the control module) everything stops working. The AC has been charged and I just replaced the control module. I was certain that was going to fix it. It sounds like a short to me. Iíd like to hear what you think. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Maury Taylor

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-06, 04:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have that push button, on the control that you also have to push, in order to get a/c?

It seems doubtful that it is a 'short', per se, as if it were, you would have fried either the blower or the compressor...but more likely would have blown a fuse due to overload. But in actuality, each work, only unfortunately, independently, unless you literally hot wire the blower to the battery.

It sounds like something weird happened in one of the switches. The blower should always blow no matter what. Fresh air...heat...a/c...whatever you choose. But I can't really say for sure.

But I will say this: At least you can jury-rig yourself some a/c if you get desperate. But just remember you need to install the apropriate size fuse in your jumper wire to the battery, for the blower! (You could use the size that your fuse box specifies)

And because you have an electrical issue, you might consider buying at least an elcheapo $10 ABC rated fire extinguisher to have in the car.

You could run your question past an auto parts store employee, or 2 or 3, if you don't get the results from others (here or elsewheres) that you are hoping for. You could also go to your nearest public library (perhaps call first) and see if they have Mitchell auto repair reference books there, where you could photo copy wiring schematics out of it for your vehicle. I have done this on two of my vehicles so far and this has paid off dividends for me.

Old 05-08-06, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Maury
Iíve got a 1996 Chevy S10 pickup. My AC stopped working near the beginning of last fall. For a short time it would work sporadically. You could get in the vehicle and the AC wouldnít work. But after a while, it would just start working. I decided it was time to get it fixed because itís nearing summer time in Texas. Here are the symptoms.
The fan wonít blow and the compressor wonít kick in. When you unplug the blower motor the compressor will begin working. But when you plug it back in it stops again. You can jump the blower to the battery and it will start working, along with the compressor. When you touch any of the controls inside the truck (the control module) everything stops working. The AC has been charged and I just replaced the control module. I was certain that was going to fix it. It sounds like a short to me. Iíd like to hear what you think. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Maury Taylor
Put pressure gauges on it to see if is in fact charged, if it is you could have a bad pressure switch. It maybe like my 99, one switch on the high side.

Search this Thread