Replacing Spark plugs on 89 ford ranger

Old 05-05-06, 07:01 PM
Replacing Spark plugs on 89 ford ranger

I just bought an 89 ranger and want to replace the spark plugs but I am not sure what is the proper distance for the gap on the firing pin. I am waiting for a copy of Chiltons repair manual to come in the mail but I really want to get these plugs replaced. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-06, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by racbdlovr
I just bought an 89 ranger and want to replace the spark plugs but I am not sure what is the proper distance for the gap on the firing pin. I am waiting for a copy of Chiltons repair manual to come in the mail but I really want to get these plugs replaced. Any help would be much appreciated.

most spark plugs come pre-gap'ed when you take them out of the box, also look for a white sticker under hood in front of vehicle ( by hood latch ) that usually says what rec. gap is.
I think most fords are .060 not too sure...

Old 05-05-06, 09:30 PM
It should be on the VECI label under your hood
It's a white rectangle
Most Rangers are .044 regardless of engine, some newer ones are .035
Most Ford vehicles, especially these early computer controlled fuel injected ones, tend to operate with less problems when Ford Motorcraft ignition parts are used
Plugs and wires specifically
Though these plugs may by chance come the correct gap from the factory, they are not by any means pre-gapped
Do not install them, or any other plugs w/o checking the gap

I'd strongly recommend not using Bosch Platinum plugs or generic spark plug wires in this vehicle

Old 05-06-06, 10:40 AM
I have an '88 Ranger w/2.9L engine, but no manual. I do have the Owners Guide for the '89 and all it mentions for plugs is the MotorCraft part #'s..ie for the 2.3L= AWSF-32C (twin plug) and for the 2.9l=AWSF-42C. No mention of Gap...but the guide says to refer to the Vehicle Emission Control Info Decal for spark plug and gap specifications...
See...
http://www.motorcraft.com/catalog.do?goto=fullline
Looks like .044 for either the I4 or V6...

Old 05-06-06, 02:48 PM
Thanks everybody for your input