Air Conditioning in 2002 Buick Rendezvous

Old 05-07-06, 04:46 PM
Air Conditioning in 2002 Buick Rendezvous

My air conditioning isn't working and I wanted to find out a few things before I go to a mechanic. The blower works. Air comes out, not cold air though. My question is: If it's an issue with needing more freon, is that something I can do myself. I noticed that the freon is easily accessible and I saw the freon cartridges (or whatever they are called) at Target. Is there more to it than just changing out the cartridge. Is it a tricky procedure?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-06, 12:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Stop You Can Not Do It Your Self

STOP what kind of freon does your car have if its R22 theres nothing you can do the only kind of freon you can install by your self in a car is R-134 or what ever the number was other wise have a cirtified macanic rechage it it a very tricky process if you do not know what you are doing yo could do major damage NO ONE here will tell how to do it so if it R22 get a pro to charge it don't try to save money and do it your self you could remove the wrong line a have a major accident this IS NOT A DO ITYOUR SELF GO TO A PRO if you get cought doing it your self or sombody gets it on tape your looking at 10,000 or more fine + jail time if it R-134 or somthing like that and you how to do it and your car takes that kind than you can do it but CHECK TO MAKE SURE ITS LEAGLE IN YOUR STATE EVERY STATE IS DIFFERENT CHECK YOU CARS MANUAL TO SEE WHAT KIND OF FREON YOUR CAR TAKES IF IT R-22 GET IT UPGRADED MOST PLACES WILL DO IT BUT IT WON'T BE CHEAP

Old 05-08-06, 06:38 AM
Group Moderator
Lexmark may have gone a little overboard in his reply, but he's basically correct. Here's the Reader's Digest version.

Your car will have R-134a in it; don't recall when the manufacturers had to use R-134a from the factory, but it was well before 2002.
Adding freon without having the necessary gauges to monitor pressures is dangerous. Also, if you have a leak, it's all coming back out anyway.
Have it checked at a reputable garage; many will do an ac check for free (because they would like you to use them if any repairs are necessary).

Old 05-08-06, 01:50 PM
Smile Thanks

Thanks for the info. I do have R-134A but I'll go to a mechanic and get it checked out. Thanks for your help.