Olds cutlass hesitating

Old 05-09-06, 05:27 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Olds cutlass hesitating

I have a 96 Olds cutlass supreme, orginally we had no brake lights and was hestitating, we bought it into the auto repair place, they replaced the abs control module, the fuel pump and the converter clutch solenoid located in the transmission. Now the brake lights work, but the signal lights stopped working and the transmission was leaking. They said the signal control switch needed to be replaced now, and they changed the gasket in the transmission. WELL, today the car started hesitating really bad and shifting weird, so I parked the car and let it sit, I then moved it and there was a puddle of transmission fluid. Do you think that the gasket leaking could cause the hesitation? I dont want to get hit with another huge car repair bill. Any help you could give me would be great! Thanks in advance

Old 05-09-06, 06:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You deserve a reply by now, from somebody. But to be honest...this is the most mixed up sounding thing I have ever heard. You jump around talking about brakes, then hesitation and fuel pumps and solenoids in the transmission, as if we all know just what you mean. And can you really describe what you mean by "hesitation"?

And to think the turn signals could have anything to do with a transmission is beyond me. Sounds like you have either a bunch of coincidences going on, or people are disconnecting wires or something while checking out the other things that are (were) wrong.

Is there any way you could re-write your post and act like we aren't in your shoes? Like, you never even said what kind of transmission the car has. And can't anybody tell if you truly have brake, transmission, or fuel delivery problems?...or is all this stuff going on at the same time? (And I presume the fuel pump is not in the transmission.)

Old 05-09-06, 06:19 PM
L
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the jumping around. It is a automatic transmission. The hesitating happens when the car first shifts, I am not sure what gear that would be. Then after that it does like a bucking. It does not stall nor does the RPMs drop which is weird.

Old 05-09-06, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I could be way off base, but going by your description I think my next move would be to another garage. If the chronology and troubleshooting are as you describe as Daveboy says, you've got more than one system problem. The only small needle in the haystack I can grab in your post is that it is conceivable there is an undiagnosed electrical system problem since all the items you went through, except for the tranny fluid leak, have a relationship of one kind or another to the electrics. Any chance this car ever had a flood incident? Nowhere near New Orleans, are you?

Old 05-09-06, 06:38 PM
L
I actually live in South Florida, the car hasnt been involved in any flooding. I think the garage doesnt have a clue and are grasping at straws to be honest with you. Orginally, the brake lights were not working, just the top one in the window occasionally, but the signal lights and hazzards worked. Then they fixed the brake lights and now the signal lights dont work. They are going to replace the signal light switch for no charge. They are so generous after charging me $1600 for the other work! lol.

I am really concerned that the leaking fluid could have damaged the transmission. Would you have any idea if they would be responsible for that?

I know I am all over the place and I am sorry, I am just frustrated.
Thanks for the help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: