1992 Chevy TRUCK

Old 05-09-06, 05:32 PM
1992 Chevy TRUCK

If the oil pressure periodically surges to 60psi and then back to normal range ( 35psi) , Can this be serious? This truck has 51k original and to hear it run, it has absolutely no ticks or pings....just wondering why the oil pressure indicator would "jump" like that. THX

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-06, 05:40 PM
Lightbulb

are you pressing the gas when it does this? sometimes it's normal for when you just start a vehicle the oil pressure will be higher then it will be if it has been running and is at normal operating temperature, also when you press the gas the oil pressure will rise but thats normal. If you not pressing the gas when it does this then check the oil and make sure you have enough but that its not overfull, if you havent changed the oil in a while (2 or more months) then you might want to consider changing the oil and oil filter.

Old 05-09-06, 05:57 PM
Its doing it at idle ,after its hot. and the oil is if anything overchanged along with the filter, this truck is babied.

Old 05-09-06, 09:43 PM
Lightbulb

well i thinks its normal then, try calling one of your local advace auto parts or autozone and ask them about it they should tell you, sorry i couldnt help you anymore but i think its just normal but you can try calling for a second opnion because im no certified machanic or nothing i just know alot about cars because all of mine break down all the time and im broke so i have to fix them myself and the more they tear up the more i learn, well good luck on finding more information and if i get anymore i'll tell you or if i go to advance i'll ask for you, good luck, bye.

Old 05-10-06, 03:07 AM
if you are using the guage on the dash it is probably a guage or sending unit problem a check with a mechanical oil pressure guage would probably show that it isnt fluctuating but it is not normal.

Old 05-11-06, 05:59 PM
ok thanx for the ideas...............sending unit sounds probable

Old 05-13-06, 03:06 AM
Yup the sending units were notorious for doing this on those.