I can't remove the rotors

Old 05-09-06, 05:43 PM
I can't remove the rotors

On a 98 Dodge Avenger. We tried to take off the front rotors. We used lots of WD-40 and we even bought a puller (jaw type).

We hammered the crap out of it and still could get it off. It's pretty rusted and seized I guess.

Is there anything else I could try? Something better then wd-40? Torching it with a propane torch? Using a mini-sledge maybe?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-06, 09:23 AM
Try PB Blaster or Kroil - both excellent liquid penetrants - and more hammering.

Old 05-10-06, 09:38 AM
question

Do the roters have two holes in them with threads? If so get two bolts and press it off with them. Use the PB blaster or Kroil first.

Old 05-10-06, 11:32 AM
I just bought some Seafoam Deepcreep. It's supposed to be really good penetrating oil, up there with the PB Blaster.

I found a bolt that would go into the two small holes of the rotor. I tried using the bolt to pull the rotor out and ended up cracking the rotor itself. It has two 6 inch long crack lines along the rotor now. This is after applying Seafoam DeepCreep and waited 30 mins.

Now I have the jaw gear puller on the rotor and I applied more DeepCreep oil (in the little holes, into the bolt holes for the wheel, and behind the rotor).

I think I will use the bolt again with the jaw puller on it.

If that doesn't work, I will then take the hammer to it with the puller AND the bolt pulling on the rotor.

If that doesn't work either, I might have to do all of the above after heating the rotor up with a propane torch.

What do you guys think? What can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Old 05-10-06, 12:01 PM
Anytime I mount a rotor onto a hub, I first put a light coating of antisieze paste onto the critical surfaces. This should keep them from rusting together and make it easier to take apart for the next service.