KE 1990 Ford Laser Head Gasket Repairs??

Old 05-09-06, 05:49 PM
KE 1990 Ford Laser Head Gasket Repairs??

Hi,
Im a complete novice when it comes to fixing cars - i have done small services myself, changed horns, headlights, leads, plugs etc, but nothing serious.
my ke laser has just been diagnosed by a mechanic as having a blown head gasket.
for a while, the car would tend to overheat and get rid of water quickly, even on a short trip. the mechanic has quoted 800 dollars to change the gasket over, machine the surface etc. he says that one of the cylinders had water in it.
just wondering a) if you think its the right price range for this job, b) if you think that its worth getting done, and/or c) if you think its possible for me to have a go to fix this myself, or with a novice friend, given i have nothing much to lose. if any one thinks its possible, can you please either direct me to instructions on how to do it, or let me know specific steps to follow? thanks,
simone

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-06, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by sim-in-oz
Hi,
Im a complete novice when it comes to fixing cars - i have done small services myself, changed horns, headlights, leads, plugs etc, but nothing serious.
my ke laser has just been diagnosed by a mechanic as having a blown head gasket.
for a while, the car would tend to overheat and get rid of water quickly, even on a short trip. the mechanic has quoted 800 dollars to change the gasket over, machine the surface etc. he says that one of the cylinders had water in it.
just wondering a) if you think its the right price range for this job, b) if you think that its worth getting done, and/or c) if you think its possible for me to have a go to fix this myself, or with a novice friend, given i have nothing much to lose. if any one thinks its possible, can you please either direct me to instructions on how to do it, or let me know specific steps to follow? thanks,
simone

a) that's a fair price for a 4 cylinder engine ( ? ) i'm assuming he'll provide parts and labor as well as the machine shop service for the head.
b) a car with a blown head gasket is worth pretty much nothing, so fix it first and then decide by yourself if you're gonna keep it, sell it or trade it.
c) not a DIY job unless you're really skilled, dont attemp it you're gonna waste your time and money and will end up paying your mechanic to fix it right.

Old 05-10-06, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
Gotta figure you'll be spending more than 50% of the value of the repaired vehicle. What condition is the rest of the car in? You could sink $800 in the head gasket (assuming there are no "surprises") and smoke the tranny next week. I would think long and hard before commiting to the repair.

Search this Thread