'98 Camry ABS code 62

Old 05-10-06, 10:08 AM
RMX
Unhappy '98 Camry ABS code 62

1998 Toyota Camry, 4cy., 118,000 miles. ABS warning light is on all the time. I used my cheap service manual to get the code. I have a "Code 62 - ECU malfunction". Then, that is as far as the manual goes. I cleared the code, but it came right back. I am going to sell this car soon and I'm not going spend too much $ on it. Short of just unpluging the lamp .... Any suggestions, replace the ABS ECU or what? Thank You.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-06, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
And you retrieved the code how??? This is an OBD-II car and you would need a scanner to read them. You also need a scanner to clear codes. ECU and ABS are two entirely different systems. Also it would be a 4-digit code. Here are the OBD-II codes:

http://www.troublecodes.net/Toyota/

I would suggest you visit the nearest AutoZone where they will read the codes for free. Then post back here what you find.

Old 05-10-06, 11:18 AM
RMX
'98 Camry ABS code 62

You are correct that this is an OBD-II car and you would need a scanner to read them.(engine computer). However, the engine computer and the ABS computer are two different things. The Haynes service manual says, the codes for the ABS can be accessed by installing a jumper wire into terminals E1 and Tc of the DLC1 data link. I have also seen this procedure elsewhere on the internet. Turn the ignition key on (engine not running). Observe the flashing codes at the ABS warning light. The diagnostic code is the number of flashes. First digit flashes 6 quick times, 1.5 sec. Pause then second is 2 quick flashes. Code 62. The chart says, “Trouble Area” – ECU malfunction, and “Action to take” – ECU problem. Had it in the shop for AC work and I ask them to look at the ABS. They came up with the same code 62, but they do not work on ABS systems.

Old 05-10-06, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
I stand corrected. I'm not familiar with the test you describe and defer to one of the pro's.

Old 05-10-06, 12:36 PM
Ecu

You probably already know this, but the ECU is the computer. I am not an expert by any means, but I understand that Toyota (I could be wrong) has issued Technical Service Bulletins to address ABS codes pointing to ECU failures.

What could an ECU failure be? It may be the module itself (expensive), could be a corrupt program chip on the ECU (would be easy to fix, but they will probably charge you an arm and a leg to hook up a computer and reprogram it). Lastly, it could be a bad connection somewhere (my only 2 ABS warning lights have been as a result of bad connections... in both cases mechanics told me I needed new parts (expensive parts), so I got the Haynes manuals, got the codes and narrowed the problems down to the connection between the ECU and the "faulty" component. Never got the ABS light again (for the same problem).

If it is a connection, I would suggest trying to clean the main connector at the ABS box under the hood and, if you can get to it, at the ECU (more than likely hard to get to under the dash). Your manual can probably give you a better insight as to where these parts are.