Car Dies When Idleing In Park Only

Reply

  #1  
Old 05-10-06, 12:09 PM
chevyastro4x4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Watertown
Posts: 592
Question Car Dies When Idleing In Park Only

Ok my friend has a 92 pontiac grand am se 3.3l and when it is in park it acts like its going to die then it revs it self up then kicks back down then it slowly dies weird thing is it only does it in P or N, in drive it idles fine.

we just replaced the sparks plugs, o2 sensor, thought that was the problem but wasn't.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 05-10-06, 03:43 PM
DaVeBoy's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,665
Probably has one of those idle sensor thingamajigs. More of that electronic stuff they have packed under the hood. I can't remember what you techniclally call it though.
 
  #3  
Old 05-10-06, 04:16 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 4,320
What kind of plugs and how did the wires look?
Could be fuel filter or faulty emissions gear
Maybe a vac leak in the manifold/hoses or fuel injection system

No-Load wander with a stall, I'd check out the Air Idle Control valve/solenoid or AIC Bypass if this engine has them (which it probably does)
Sometime a good cleaning with some carb cleaner helps those if they are gunked up
If it's failed-it'll need replacing

Autozone.com has some good repair info on this vehicle
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...ginRepairGuide
 
  #4  
Old 05-10-06, 07:40 PM
chevyastro4x4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Watertown
Posts: 592
Thank You, I'll Try Everything
 
  #5  
Old 05-11-06, 07:10 AM
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 36
Exclamation

i agree with slickshift that the fuel filter may be cloged, try changing that and if that dont work, try a bottle of "Lucas fuel injector cleaner" your injectors may be fouled out.
 
  #6  
Old 05-11-06, 08:24 AM
chevyastro4x4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Watertown
Posts: 592
Thanks Thats The First On My List
 
  #7  
Old 05-13-06, 03:42 AM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Barre,Vermont
Posts: 472
Well, an idle concern is the least likely condition for a fuel volume issue to manifest itself. I'm leaning more towards a mass air flow sensor or possibly a crankshaft position sensor. Does it ever stall and then not restart right away? Try tapping the mass air flow sensor lightly with a screwdriver handle while it's idling and see if the condition occurs.
 
  #8  
Old 05-13-06, 05:00 AM
chevyastro4x4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Watertown
Posts: 592
Originally Posted by bigguy05641
Well, an idle concern is the least likely condition for a fuel volume issue to manifest itself. I'm leaning more towards a mass air flow sensor or possibly a crankshaft position sensor. Does it ever stall and then not restart right away? Try tapping the mass air flow sensor lightly with a screwdriver handle while it's idling and see if the condition occurs.
it starts right up again and runs fine for a couple of mins or till its warm then it dies again
 
  #9  
Old 05-13-06, 09:11 AM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,538
may have a tps going bad, may check codes to see if there is any a scan tool may be needed to monitor tps and iac to see if that is the problem.
 
  #10  
Old 05-13-06, 12:46 PM
chevyastro4x4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Watertown
Posts: 592
no codes but the check gauges light comes on for a min or so
 
  #11  
Old 05-14-06, 12:21 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Barre,Vermont
Posts: 472
I'm thinking crankshaft position sensor. The only way to diag it is to connect a oscillascope to the the output circuit. Either that or replace it.
 
  #12  
Old 05-14-06, 12:23 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Barre,Vermont
Posts: 472
Wait, if the car is acting up real good, try taking some ice water and applying it to the crank sensor to cool it down, and see if it straightens out the symptom at all.
 
  #13  
Old 05-14-06, 12:49 PM
chevyastro4x4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Watertown
Posts: 592
Originally Posted by bigguy05641
Wait, if the car is acting up real good, try taking some ice water and applying it to the crank sensor to cool it down, and see if it straightens out the symptom at all.

ok but if the sensor is bad then why does it only do it in park
 
  #14  
Old 05-14-06, 03:30 PM
DaVeBoy's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,665
Just my 2 cents as you are probably anxious for answers. In park, an engine is in a different set of circumstances as the engine is not under any load and therefore sensors that determnmine mix and idle speed, adjust accordingly...I would imagine. The vaccum in the engine will be in a higher state also (due to throttle plate closed) than compared to say if under load going up a hill. So...things are different then, at aidle.
 
  #15  
Old 05-14-06, 09:45 PM
chevyastro4x4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Watertown
Posts: 592
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
Just my 2 cents as you are probably anxious for answers. In park, an engine is in a different set of circumstances as the engine is not under any load and therefore sensors that determnmine mix and idle speed, adjust accordingly...I would imagine. The vaccum in the engine will be in a higher state also (due to throttle plate closed) than compared to say if under load going up a hill. So...things are different then, at aidle.
ok but its doesnt do it in nertual wouldnt that be the same as park
 
  #16  
Old 05-15-06, 05:03 AM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 4,320
Originally Posted by chevyastro4x4
it only does it in P or N
...
 
  #17  
Old 05-15-06, 07:06 AM
chevyastro4x4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Watertown
Posts: 592
sorry... it does it when the car isnt moving but if we put it in netual and crusin it stays running
 
  #18  
Old 05-15-06, 05:22 PM
DaVeBoy's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,665
Originally Posted by chevyastro4x4
sorry... it does it when the car isnt moving but if we put it in netual and crusin it stays running
When did you notice THIS oddity?; before or after you posted your OP? You should tell us everything up front (not a lecture..just a friendly suggestion) because figuring some of this stuff out is hard enough... but then when a new bomb gets dropped, one has to go back to the op and start reading all over to try to make sense of it all.

(Back to the drawing board, thinking some more, while I read other posts.)

When you put in neutral, cruising...do you let the idle speed come way down before re-engaging it in drive? Otherwise, if you aren't we can't tell anything regarding that symptom.
 
  #19  
Old 05-15-06, 08:31 PM
chevyastro4x4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Watertown
Posts: 592
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
When did you notice THIS oddity?; before or after you posted your OP? You should tell us everything up front (not a lecture..just a friendly suggestion) because figuring some of this stuff out is hard enough... but then when a new bomb gets dropped, one has to go back to the op and start reading all over to try to make sense of it all.

(Back to the drawing board, thinking some more, while I read other posts.)

When you put in neutral, cruising...do you let the idle speed come way down before re-engaging it in drive? Otherwise, if you aren't we can't tell anything regarding that symptom.

noticed after the post, ya it idels down to 800
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'