Tranny has me stumped!

Old 05-10-06, 05:17 PM
Tranny has me stumped!

1989 GMC Safari Cargo Van--6 cyl., rearwheel dr., 161,000 m. Owned for 3 yrs. and have never changed fluid. Last week, shifted hard out of first gear. After a couple hard shifts I pulled over and checked fluid level. It was full. Shut off Van and restarted after a few minutes (10 maybe). Shifted smooth again. Fine until 7 days later. Again, shifted very hard out of first. Had to rev motor some to get it to shift. Pulled over and shut off motor for abouot 10 minutes. All was fine when I resumed my errand. What's up? Can a tranny act in this manner and need only a fluid and screen change? Sensor? Or is it probably ready to go? It was a great hauler and I'd hate to see her go. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-06, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
Be a good idea to read the codes that are probably stored. Tranny codes don't always turn on the check engine light. You can read up on how to pull the codes yourself here:

http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/

Tranny codes will be in the 70's and 80's.

Old 05-10-06, 06:43 PM
Exclamation

i had the same problem, change the transmission filter and fluid, then before you put new fluid back in put a quart of "Lucas automatic transmission Stop Slip" in it and then fill the rest up with regular transmission fluid, you can probably get all the fluid and filter and the lucas at your local Advance auto parts store. This should fix it, if not it still couldnt hurt it, you said the fluid had never been changed then this will probably fix it. after you drive it for a few days after you change it (say 2 weeks) and i would change the filter and fluid again so it would get all the crud that you leave in there the first time believe me you cant get all of it out, this is the best way to do it. the second time you change it put another quart of lucas stop slip in it again and this should fix it for good. TIP: when you get the lucas, before you put it in the trans put the whole bottle in a pot of water and boil it on the stove for about 3 minutes so it will thin it out enough to be able to pour in the transmission without having to stand there and hold it for 10 to 15 minutes trying to get it to go in because this stuff is super thick. Good Luck and tell me if this works, it worked for me and i havent had a problem since, and i didnt change it a second time but im thinking about it so it will be clean and not just half done.

Old 05-10-06, 07:18 PM
thanks for the tip

great idea about the boiling water

Old 05-10-06, 07:36 PM
Exclamation

no problem, it will definetly come in handy (i wish i would have known the first time i put that stuff in, but i didnt find out until i went to advance one day and was telling one of the workers about how long it took to pour that stuff in and they looked at me for a second and said, "Here's some advice for your next transmission fluid and filter change, boill it in water and it will thin it out like regular trans fluid and it also gets into the small places so it will flow better and work faster". and if your first change works for about 2 or 3 days and starts to show problems again just change the fluid and filter again and put another bottle of lucas in and thatd will take care of it. (if you want to try to save money just try another bottle of lucas and see if that works before you buy all the fluid and filter again, but its better to change them again anyway to get the left over crud and dirt out where it was cloged up)

Old 05-13-06, 03:17 AM
Hello, that trans will not store codes as it is not computer controlled(except the torque converter). Sounds like you have a sticking throttle pressure valve in the valve body. Not an easy fix. Nor an easy one to diag.

Old 05-13-06, 06:01 AM
Group Moderator
Oops, didn't pay enough attention to the year mentioned. Was thinking about my '94.

Search this Thread