Ford 150

Old 05-11-06, 04:01 AM
Ford 150

Does anyone know the history of the 1997 Ford 150 transmission? I appear to have a leak in the rear seal area. It doesn't amount to much but I have added about 1 qt over a year. Also at oil change time I was about 1 qt low on oil. The oil change manager says there may be oil cooling lines that circulate through the transmission and a small leak may be there. Anyone ever heard of this?

The engine is a small 8, runs fine and looks clean, there is no evidence of leaks. I find no evidence of burning either. And the tranny fluid looks clean, not burnt or discolored.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-06, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by freeandcleardot
Does anyone know the history of the 1997 Ford 150 transmission? I appear to have a leak in the rear seal area. It doesn't amount to much but I have added about 1 qt over a year. Also at oil change time I was about 1 qt low on oil. The oil change manager says there may be oil cooling lines that circulate through the transmission and a small leak may be there. Anyone ever heard of this?

The engine is a small 8, runs fine and looks clean, there is no evidence of leaks. I find no evidence of burning either. And the tranny fluid looks clean, not burnt or discolored.

Any ideas?
The only engine oil cooling lines I've seen are through radiator on a chevy 92 suburban 5.7 L, non sense to think they'd be on tranny
Your engine is either leaking or burning oil, also when you take too long to change engine oil, sometimes oil kind of " evaporates " with time and when is time to change level is a little low.
I've seen this happen on newer chevy engines under stress ( pulling trailers ) with 5k miles or more since last change, no burning and no leaks, level goes down about 1/2 qt.

Old 05-11-06, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by LouBazooka
The only engine oil cooling lines I've seen are through radiator on a chevy 92 suburban 5.7 L, non sense to think they'd be on tranny
Your engine is either leaking or burning oil, also when you take too long to change engine oil, sometimes oil kind of " evaporates " with time and when is time to change level is a little low.
I've seen this happen on newer chevy engines under stress ( pulling trailers ) with 5k miles or more since last change, no burning and no leaks, level goes down about 1/2 qt.
I'm thinking that the oil cooler lines that were spoken of are the transmission oil cooler lines that go from the transmission to the oil cooler/radiator on all automatic transmission equipped vehicles. As far as oil evaporating, if a vehicle is driven routinely in very short trips, water will condense in the oil and not be burned off. If the vehicle is then taken on a long trip, the water is burned off and depending on the amount of water in the oil, the level may noticeably drop. Also, it is normal for an engine to use a little more oil if it is being worked hard, such as pulling a trailer.

Old 05-11-06, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by SLJ2137694
I'm thinking that the oil cooler lines that were spoken of are the transmission oil cooler lines that go from the transmission to the oil cooler/radiator on all automatic transmission equipped vehicles. As far as oil evaporating, if a vehicle is driven routinely in very short trips, water will condense in the oil and not be burned off. If the vehicle is then taken on a long trip, the water is burned off and depending on the amount of water in the oil, the level may noticeably drop. Also, it is normal for an engine to use a little more oil if it is being worked hard, such as pulling a trailer.

You maybe right but I think he was talking about his engine oil when writing about cooling lines, Suburban 1992 5.7 L has both Tranny fluid lines and engine oil cooler ( see radiators with EOC ) lines.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...LER&PageSync=1

Old 05-11-06, 02:41 PM
Those trannies are pretty solid
No "notoriosities" there
lol

You could have a tranny cooler
You'd have extra lines off the radiator
That wouldn't be enough tranny fluid loss to really notice it in your coolant, but it might be worth a check

A quart down every oil change on that 8 is normal

Old 05-12-06, 04:40 AM
Thanks guys.

Sounded odd to me to have engine oil coolant lines run thru the tranny but tranny oil circ lines to the radiator is pretty common.

Slickshift, if a qt low on oil at change time is common for a truck, I'm satisfied. I don't pull anything but do admit being over the oil change due date per mileage. I usually aim between 3-5k and this was more.

I thought I read somewhere that this model had been identified as having a problem with losing tranny fluid due to a poor design at the bellhousing. I have noticed a few drops of fluid now and then underneath after it's parked a while. Not sure how major the fix may be, and sure don't need a witch hunt.

Old 05-12-06, 08:02 AM
97 F150

That truck could have one of two transmissions. A 4R70W (14 bolt pan) or a E4OD (20 bolt pan), either way if it is the rear seal, it is not a big deal. if it is leaking at the seal where the driveshaft hooks (tailhousing seal) it's a matter of removing the driveshaft, prying the old seal out and carefully replacing it by pressing in a new one.
As for the cooling line leak, it is not uncommon at all. There are fittings that your lines press and lock into, they have an o-ring in there that can leak or the fitting itself could be bad as well as a bad cooler line.