gas smell '94 taraus

Old 05-11-06, 07:38 AM
gas smell '94 taraus

It is not the pressure lines-I have run the pump for 30 mins with a jumper wire on a stone cold engine and found no leaks

...So it must be vapor recovery?

The tank holds pressure. I get the typical hissing sound when I take the cap off on a hot day or a drive. I checked the purge solenoid and it works.

I tried to pull a vacuum on the 1/8 nylon vapor line that goes back to the tank. It held no vacuum, so I looked for an opening in the line. I worked all the way back to the tank. I dropped the tank and pulled the line out of the plastic doodad on top of the tank. With my thumb on the end of the line, it held vacuum and when plugged into the doodad it did not, so I established that that line was good.

I can pull on the line all day with my vacuum pump and not smell gas so the doodad is not open to the tank. I suppose the thing holds pressure in the tank to a point and then releases pressure once a preset is reached. I put the tank back in and continued to drive the car.

Another bigger line (maybe ) also comes out of the doodad. It has the small vapor line I investigated plus a bigger line I did not expect. What is this bigger line for and where does it go?

I guess it acts as a kind of overflow and vents to the outside when the vapor recovery system cannot handle the load.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-06, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by peabees
I guess it acts as a kind of overflow and vents to the outside when the vapor recovery system cannot handle the load.
Yup
Probably the overflow