Cleaning up tranny fluid

Old 05-11-06, 11:09 AM
Cleaning up tranny fluid

Wasn't sure whether to post this here, or in the cleaning forums, but here goes...

Took my 97 Dodge Ram in for some maintenance, among other things they did a tranny powerflush. I soon notice the transmisison starting to act up, so I checked the fluid level and it seemed ok, next I looked in the garage, and I noticed a good amount of fresh fluid on the ground. So, took it back in, and they're telling me the cooler lines are leaking. So, an additional $180 to fix that.

I now have a rather large area on my garage floor that is covered in transmission fluid; what can I use to clean this up???

Thanks for any advice,
Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-06, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by scottaa1
Wasn't sure whether to post this here, or in the cleaning forums, but here goes...

Took my 97 Dodge Ram in for some maintenance, among other things they did a tranny powerflush. I soon notice the transmisison starting to act up, so I checked the fluid level and it seemed ok, next I looked in the garage, and I noticed a good amount of fresh fluid on the ground. So, took it back in, and they're telling me the cooler lines are leaking. So, an additional $180 to fix that.

I now have a rather large area on my garage floor that is covered in transmission fluid; what can I use to clean this up???

Thanks for any advice,
Scott

The crushed stuff they sell at autozone works really good and is cheap too, spread on floor let it absorb all fluid and then just sweep and pick up. Use proper trash container, did you notice any fluid before service was done ?

Old 05-11-06, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by LouBazooka
The crushed stuff they sell at autozone works really good and is cheap too, spread on floor let it absorb all fluid and then just sweep and pick up. Use proper trash container, did you notice any fluid before service was done ?
Thanks for the information.

I'd had a very slow leak prior to the service, one so slow I'd been told not to worry about it. I'd never had the standing pool of fluid that is there now.

Old 05-11-06, 12:01 PM
I have always used powdered laundry detergen on any type oil spills on concrete. Sometimes I just pour it on the spill and other times I mix it into a paste and plop it down.

Old 05-11-06, 12:08 PM
Kitty Litter works well on oil spills.

Old 05-11-06, 12:14 PM
Group Moderator
Kitty litter and a brick.

Old 05-11-06, 12:16 PM
dawn dish washing liquid takes anything off, and also grease lightining takes care of alot of things too and its strong.

Old 05-11-06, 12:33 PM
Great, thanks for the feedback! I think I'll use kitty liter to soak up the majority and then switch to dish soap to clean up anything else. Also going to put down some paper to see if anything is leaking from elsewhere, just to be sure.

Old 05-11-06, 02:02 PM
Exclamation

the best thing to test leaks on is cardboard, get a piece and park your car on level ground, set the cardboard under the place/thing you think is leaking, leave the car there for about a day, then look to see, if nothing crank the car and let it run for about 3 to 4 minutes with cardboard under it then see if anything is leaking, sometimes things dont leak until you crank the vehicle. good luck.

Old 05-11-06, 02:52 PM
Thank you all for your inputs. I've got another question, is it possible that the power flush blew out the lines? I'm not making an accusation against the shop, I know they put up with alot of that kind of thing, but it wasn't leaking from that place before it went in (the new fluid is further up on the floor from any existing stain). Just seems that preventative maintenance actually causes issues sometimes!!

Old 05-11-06, 05:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In case the_tow_guy's brick comment flew over any bodys head...you use it to grind the kitty litter in a manner similar to sanding with sandpaper. Yes, that IS a very good method.

The_tow_guy,

Have you ever done it though on asphalt? I have only done it on concrete.

Old 05-11-06, 05:33 PM
Yes, I noticed that brick comment and figured that's what he meant, thanks for the confirmation.

my idea of 'garage maintenance' is in the spring and in the fall, I move stuff out/get everything off the floor, hose it down, scrub it with a push broom, and then hose stuff out to city drainage. Part of my reason for asking about the trans fluid cleanup was my concern of washing it out into the environment. Do I have a responsibility of 'proper disposal' if I use kitty liter to clean this up and bag it with my normal trash?

Old 05-11-06, 07:48 PM
trans service

too much fluid can be pushed in and come out dipstick tube especially newer dodge trucks.im an auto tech & have had this happen at my shop.the level was fine i thought.after test drive had leak from tube.rechecked & too much fluid.

Old 05-11-06, 08:29 PM
scott,
in my humble opinion, when they changed the transmission fluid and the filter, they should have took the car around the block a time or two to get it up to temperature, then bring it in to make sure no fluid was coming out ANYWHERE. and maybe i'm an old butt idiot, but what the heck is a power flush on a tranny? never heard of such a procedure. we drain the old, replace the filter screen, replace with fluid, test drive it to get it to temp, bring it back to the bay, check for leaks, levels. if any fluid comes out of the level indicator tube, then they put too much transmission fluid in the first case and could wreck your transmission(blown seals,gaskets,etc. as these operate at high pressure). the clean-up suggestions are all great but you need to make sure that they didn't put you car's tranmission at risk of failure.
let us know, we are here to help,

barry

Old 05-11-06, 08:59 PM
Power flush is taking the transmission cooling lines off and connecting a pump to it. They pump clean fluid through the converter and all to flush out all of the old fluid not just whats in the pan. Sounds like they didn't get the lines back on making sure they didn't leak and now you must pay for there mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Even if it was already leaking a small amount they should have made sure it had no leaks.

Old 05-12-06, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
In case the_tow_guy's brick comment flew over any bodys head...you use it to grind the kitty litter in a manner similar to sanding with sandpaper. Yes, that IS a very good method.

The_tow_guy,

Have you ever done it though on asphalt? I have only done it on concrete.
Use a brick if you wish but I use my shoes.

Old 05-12-06, 08:02 AM
Group Moderator
Never tried it on asphalt, Dave, but it would probably work on fresh spills. Once the spills sit for a while it will eat into the asphalt, unlike on concrete.

Shoes work, too.

And I think Chevy hit the nail on the head; since the cooler lines would have to be disconnected to do the "power flush" it follows that there's a pretty good chance the shop didn't do someting exactly right.

Old 05-12-06, 11:29 AM
I plan to raise these points with them, but seeing as I can't prove it was leaking when I went to pick it up, I doubt very much that they'll do anything. I guess about all I could do is point out that I'm a repeat customer, and that this does cast a bit of doubt on them.

Old 05-12-06, 05:17 PM
yea, the only thing you might be able to do is tell them you dont like that they fixed something and tore something else up, and that that dont show good business, and sometimes they will fix what tore up for real cheap or for free they did my grandma like that because she didnt mind going back up there and telling them what she thought, and they fixed the a/c coolent (freon) leak for free and nothing else went wrong until the radiator busted.

Old 05-12-06, 07:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by scottaa1
I plan to raise these points with them, but seeing as I can't prove it was leaking when I went to pick it up, I doubt very much that they'll do anything. I guess about all I could do is point out that I'm a repeat customer, and that this does cast a bit of doubt on them.
My dad had some work done to one of his cars years ago, and noticed a real severe problem after he took his car on a 400 mile trip, and we knew it was related to the work he had done. Something that would cost hundreds of dollars to fix (ontop of what he just gave the guy).

He took me with to 'discuss' this with the mechanic, as I know more about cars. Well...things got ugly when he 'sensed' we were accusing him. We 3 almost came to blows, for real. I figured though that he could have beat me and my dad up...at the same time? He had arms like Hulk Hogan...well, more like real thick ropes, and he was tall and looked very fit and lean.

Anyway, he screamed at our accusations, and said that what he did was akin to taking apart an eggshell, and if he caused the problem it was inevitable because he simply touched it and he said that he shouldn't have to take this job on the chin because he was the unlucky sole to attempt to (akin to) operate on a 103 year old. That sort of thing.

My dad and I thought this thru on the way home and lightened up and figured the mechanic did indeed have a point.

Thought I'd share.

Old 05-13-06, 03:09 PM
I went in and discussed it with them, everything was kept nice and calm. while they didn't fix it for free they gave me the parts at cost, so it ended up costing $160 to get both lines replaced. I also have the old cooler lines, I don't know if there's any way to tell if they were faulty or anything, or that it would really matter. *shrug*

I'm going to keep a close eye on things. Otherwise, this is hopefully all history now.

Thanks for your advice everyone, it is appreciated,
Scott