Sticky gas pedal

Old 05-12-06, 07:28 AM
kasha
Visiting Guest
Sticky gas pedal

Hi!

I have a Nissan Quest (1999). It's been 3-4 months the gas pedal is getting stuck (not all the times). I am planning to go on some long road trips in next couple of weeks. Is this some thing I should be concerned about to take my van on lengthy road trips? I don't want to get stuck on the road with my family as I have 3 yr old.

If fixing this is easy...how can I fix it ( I am a novice mechanic....so please give me detailed procedure...if your time permits)? Or is it some thing I should take to a dealer or mechanic??

Thanks for your time and advice...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-06, 07:38 AM
From my (admittedly limited) experience, sounds like a sticky throttle cable.

Although if you're planning on taking some road trips, you should probably just take it in to a mechanic and have everything looked over anyway.

Old 05-12-06, 01:36 PM
Is the gas pedal stuck at the top of it's travel? (like when you first go to take off) I'm not familiar with this vehicle but it may be build up in your throttle body. If so remove the air intake from throttle body and spray some carb cleaner where the butterfly where it contacts throttle body. (if your vehicle has throttle body fuel injection)

Old 05-12-06, 06:46 PM
Your gas/throttle cable is OK, it's just a dirty throttle body, just remove the air duct and clean it off with carburetor cleaner as suggested above.

Old 05-12-06, 09:47 PM
kasha,

Dont risk yourself and your family, have car checked by a professional before you hit the road.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 09-06-06 at 06:01 AM. Reason: removed quote as it's unnecessary to quote the entire post
Old 09-06-06, 12:05 AM
T-body Clean

the best way to clean the problem;remove the T-body so you can clean both sides of the throttle plate. 14yr LIN,MERC -DRIVE/ELECT TECH