Taurus Intermittent Wiper Failure

Old 05-12-06, 02:27 PM
Taurus Intermittent Wiper Failure

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon, 89,900 miles, 3.0 V6 pushrod engine

Trying to help my friend with his car.

The windshield wipers would not operate when turned On but if you drove around for a while they might start to work. Sometimes if you turned it to Washer that would get the wipers going.

He replaced the wiper motor but all was well for less than 2 months. Brought the car to a mechanic shop who replaced the multifunction switch and 2 relays. Still have the same problem.

I remember reading some time ago that Ford had problems with the wiring harness multi-plug connectors or the connection at the firewall or fuse box. I'm also thinking maybe bad ignition switch. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-06, 06:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have to determine if you have power coming to the unit(s).

A lot of 12 volt comes off the "on" switch part of the ignition switch. But I can't imagine the switch itself being the junction for it all (although I'm not positive and wold need to see the wiring schematic). Like...if you turn your key to "on" and have radio, blower, and whatever else...if the only thing you don't have is wipers, I don't think I'd suspect the ignition switch.

Old 05-16-06, 02:16 PM
bad motor

if the motor replacement fixed the problem for two months, suspecion falls on the motor again.
take it back and trade it for a good one.
you did not say if the muti-function switch and relay replacement had a positive effect, if NOT, change the motor again.